First Days in Turku

What to do on your first days in Turku?

Concerning Studies at UTU

  • The registration of the new exchange students takes place at the International Office, at Turku School of Economics (Rehtorinpellonkatu 3). The International Office  is normally open Mon-Fri 12 - 14.

  • New international degree students must first visit the faculty office and present his/her original degree certificate. After that international degree students register by paying the TYY membership fee with a bank transfer slip, which will be provided by the faculty. 

  • Collect your user-ID from one of the Helpdesks around the campus. They are located in Educarium, Turku School of Economics, Natura and in Verstas. Please remember to bring your ID with you. You will need the user account in order to access e.g. NettiOpsu (study register), Intranet and E-mail.

  • Update your address in Turku to your Personal Data information on NettiOpsu.

  • Pay the Student Union fee approx. 106€ online at any bank by using a special bank giro with your personal reference number. For degree students this is obligatory and for exchange students voluntary.  

  • Apply for the Finnish student card. The card will cost approx.15 euros and is only avaible for students who have paid the Student Union fee (see above).

  • Remember to attend the Orientation for new international students as well as all personal advising sessions and introductory meetings which are held by the International Office or your host department.

Concerning living in Turku

  • Sign your lease at your housing office. 

  • Open a bank account if neccessary (obligatory if you have been granted a scholarship, otherwise optional). Opening a bank account is usually free of charge in Finland.

  • Exchange studens may (optional) collect a Starting Package at the Package Storage, address: Rehtorinpellonkatu 4b. The fee is 70 € (including a 50 € deposit which will be refunded if all the items are returned clean and in good condition). 

  • If needed, buy a Student bus card from the Local Traffic Service Office, 36€ (30 days)

  • Mail will not be delivered without a change of address notification (muuttoilmoitus). This can be filled out at any post office or printed out at

  • EU citizens are not required to have a residence permit before arriving in Finland. However they may register their right to reside in Finland in Raisio Police station. 
  • Students coming from outside the EU/EEA countries must obtain their first residence permit from the Finnish consulate/embassy in their home country before arrival to Finland. The residence permit granted to non-EU/EEA citizens for studies is normally a fixed-term permit.

  • Foreign students should make an appointment and visit local register in order to get a Finnish identity number and and a place of domicile in local register office in Turku (Turun maistraatti). Please see more info here.