Frequently Asked Questions

Practical matters:
How much is the tuition fee?
Does the University of Turku offer sch olarships?
Do I need a visa or residence permit to study in the University of Turku?
Do I need a health insurance?
How do I apply for accommodation (housing)?
Will I have a tutor?
When should I arrive?
What is the cost of living in Finland?

What studies are available in English?
The University of Turku offers several Master’s Degree Programmes in English. For detailed information about the programmes, please see programmes' web pages. For information about non-degree courses offered in English, please visit The University of Turku does not currently offer any undergraduate studies conducted in English.
[back to top]

Does the University of Turku offer Bachelor’s degree courses in English?
The University of Turku does not offer Bachelor’s degree courses in English: the bachelor’s degrees offered at the university are conducted in Finnish.
[back to top]

Who are exchange students? 
Exchange students are students who come to study for a short term (one or two semesters) from the partner universities of the University of Turku. Their studies in the University will be included in their degree at their home institution.
[back to top]

How do I apply for Master’s Degree Programmes?
The application round for Master’s Degree Programmes usually starts in December and ends in the spring term depending on the programme. Students apply for the Master's Degree Programmes through a FuniMa user account by filling in an application template. You can create your FuniMa user account at NB! Before filling in the template, please study carefully the admission requirements of the Master's Degree Programme you are applying for.
[back to top]

When can I apply?
Master's Degree Programme application deadline dates can be found here.
N.B! The printed and signed application form must be sent by post to the University Admissions Finland office. The application must reach the University Admissions Finland office by the application deadline. No late applications will be processed!
[back to top]

What are the admission requirements?
Admission requirements differ from one faculty to another. Please see the web site of the programme you are interested in for a full list of all admission criteria. All Master's Degree Programmes require that the applicant has a Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) on a relevant field to the programme. This degree should correspond to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study. It should be awarded by a full university (i.e. an institution of higher education offering a doctorate).
In addition, all applicants are required to take a language test to indicate their English language proficiency. More detailed information on the test score requirements can be found on the Language requirements web site.
[back to top]

Which language tests and scores does the University of Turku accept
The language skills required may vary between the Master’s degree programmes. As a general rule, applicants must pass an internationally recognised English language test such as PTE, TOEFL or IELTS. For more detailed information about language requirements, please check the pages of the programmes and
[back to top]

What are the required documents to be enclosed in the application?
Requirements may vary between programmes. Please check all the needed enclosures from the programmes' web pages.
[back to top]

Where do I send my enclosures?
All completed and certified application documents must be sent by post to:
University Admissions Finland
Unioninkatu 40 C
FI-00170 Helsinki
[back to top]

What is the admission procedure?
The University Admissions Finland pre-processes the applications after which they are sent to the University of Turku where student selections are carried out by departments and faculties. Faculties of the University of Turku will notify the applicants of the admission decision.
[back to top]

Whom do I contact for more information about a particular course?
For general enquiries concerning studies in the University of Turku, please contact Student and Admission Services, admissions[at]
Master's Degree Programmes' contact information you will find here.
[back to top]

How much is the tuition fee?
Tuition fees will be charged from 2017 onwards in Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes taught in English. Tuition fees concern students admitted to studies in August 2017 or after.

Who will be charged?

Tuition fees will be charged from citizens of a country outside the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

Who will not be charged?

Tuition fees will not be charged from

  • citizens of EU/EEA states or Switzerland
  • family members of the citizens of the EU/EEA or Switzerland
  • holders of a permanent Finnish residence permit or a long-term resident’s EU residence permit (P, P-EU)
  • holders of a fixed-term continuous residence permit (A)
  • holders of an EU Blue Card (a residence permit card with a marking “EU Blue Card” as the type of the permit)




ogramme-specific tuition fees are listed at

The first year tuition fee has to be paid before one can register with the University.




[back to top]

Does the University of Turku offer scholarships?

The University offers generous scholarship programme for students who are subject to pay tuition fee. The scholarship programme has 3 categories:

  • 2-ye
  • .
  • 2-year scholarship that covers 50 % of the tuition fee for 2 academic years.
  • 1-year scholarship for outstanding performance during the 1st study year.The scholarship covers the 2nd year tuition fee.

A scholarship will be granted to up to 30 % of the admitted students who are subject to tuition fees and have applied for a scholarship. You can apply for a 2-year scholarship at the same time as applying for admission to one of our Master’s degree programmes. There is a separate application process for the 1-year scholarship during your first study year.

Further information on tuition fees and scholarships:

[back to top]

Do I need a visa or residence permit to study in the University of Turku?
All students who are not EU/EEA citizens must obtain a residence permit from a Finnish embassy or consulate in their home country. Also a visa may be required to enter the Schengen area. See the website of The Ministry for Foreign Affairs for country-specific details. The residence permit and visa must be obtained before the arrival in Finland, so it is advisable to check which documents are required and apply for them well in advance.
EU/EEA citizens need the right to reside in Finland if they stay for more than three months or if they plan to be employed. The residence permit can be obtained at the local police station after the arrival. Citizens of Nordic countries do not need a residence permit for studying.
[back to top]

Do I need a health insurance?
Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries arriving in Finland for the purpose of studies are required to have a health insurance. It is also recommeded that all students have a private health insurance which is valid during their study period in Finland. Only with a proper health insurance can all the costs be covered if you become ill during your stay.
EU/EEA-citizens who have a European Health Insurance Card (or an equivalent E-111/E128 social security form) are entitled to the same municipal health care at the same prices as the Finnish citizens.
The Student Insurance Program (SIP) has been especially designed for people staying abroad on a temporary basis. SIP policy is valid worldwide. It offers two types of insurance solutions for covering illness and healthcare costs. For more information about SIP and insurance subscription you'll find here.
[back to top]

How do I apply for accommodation 
The University of Turku is not responsible for students' accommodation. Students must apply for student housing themselves. This can be done online on the Student Village Foundation web site. This should be done at least 6 weeks before the first day of the first lease month. After having applied online and received admission verification, the student will receive instructions via e-mail concerning the deposit, address, etc. The lease always starts on the first day of the month. For more information please visit the Student Village Foundation web site
[back to top]

Will I have a tutor?
A personal tutor is a volunteer student who helps international students in adjusting to student and daily life in Turku. The tutor provides help with practical matters and student life. The tutor's contact information is sent along with the letter of acceptance. Here you will find more information about tutoring.
[back to top]

When should I arrive?
Teaching periods run from 1 September to 31 December and 1 January to 31 May. In the Faculty of Medicine studies start at the beginning of August and in the Turku School of Economics at the end of August. Summer time teaching is normally not available. The academic year is officially divided into two periods: 1 August - 31 December and 1 January - 31 July. Students who are accepted are expected to be present at the Orientation Course which is arranged in the beginning of the autumn term. The Orientation Course helps you adjust to Finnish student life and living in Turku. Please note that arriving in Turku during weekends and holidays is not recommended because the Student Village Foundation Housing Office will be closed. Please also note that if the first day of the renting month should fall on a Saturday or Sunday, keys will not be available until the following Monday
[back to top]

What is the cost of living in Finland?
The cost of living in Finland is about the same as in other West European countries. On average, the total monthly living expenses of a single student are around € 700.
[back to top]


20014 Turun yliopisto, Finland
Tel. +358 29 450 5000

People search

Follow us: 
Facebook   Twitter   Instagram   Youtube   LinkedIn
© University of Turku