The Finnish Immigration Service has defined a minimum insurance coverage required from all foreign students needing a residence permit. The Student Insurance Program (SIP) has been pre-approved by the Finnish Immigration Service, which is why it is the easiest solution for students.
SIP has been specially designed for people staying abroad on a temporary basis and is valid worldwide for
- members of the educational staff
- children over 5 years
Other insurance providers
– the French company Assurances Courtages et Services (ACS) (www.acs-ami.com)
– AON Students Insurance, whose parent company is the US company AON Corpo-ration (www.students-insurance.eu)
– the US company International Student Insurance (www.internationalstudentinsurance.com)
– the Swiss insurance company Swisscare – ESI Finland plan (www.swisscare-student.com
SIP insurance solutions
SIP offers two types of insurance solutions for covering illness and healthcare costs: SIP integral and SIP complement.
SIP integral is meant for persons who are not members of a mutual healthcare fund or who do not benefit from a social security system. SIP integral will reimburse your medical expenses with no maximum amount and with zero deductible from the first euro.
- Foreign nationals entering Finland to carry out studies lasting less than two years are not assigned a domicile in Finland and are thus not covered by municipal health care. For the residence permit such a student must have private insurance covering medical care expenses up to EUR 100,000. SIP integral will apply to this situation.
SIP complement is meant for persons who already have a basic mutual healthcare cover or who hold a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when visiting countries in the European Economic Area and Switzerland. Consequently, SIP Complement solution will reimburse the covered medical costs in full after the allowance refunded by the health fund of the insured person.
- Foreign students entering Finland for studies with a minimum duration of two years are usually assigned a domicile in Finland and are thus covered by municipal health care services, but private insurance is also required primarily to cover expenses for medication of at least EUR 30,000. This means that SIP complement is an appropriate insurance solution for students coming to the University of Turku for the completion of a Master's Degree Programme.
The SIP insurance policy can be taken for maximum one year. However, the insurance can be renewed.
All employees of the University, regardless of the nature and duration of the employment relationship, have insurance coverage in case of a work-related injury or illness. In the event of an occupational accident, a report must be made by electric form Leave of Absence in SAP Portal.