Work Permits

If you intend to work in Finland, you may need a work permit for Finland.

EU / EEA citizens are not required a residence permit in Finland while as non-EU nationals need a residence permit. Researchers and teachers in the university sector are typically required to apply for a researcher's residence permit. This applies to researchers and PhD candidates working on a salaried position, or on a grant or scholarship. Students should have a permit for Studies.

A residence permit must be obtained prior to arrival in Finland, and is required for a stay that exceeds 3 months. In case the stay is not planned to be longer than 3 months, work may be conducted during the visa´s period of validity or the visa-free period. Non-EU nationals who have residence permit in another EU / EEA country have to apply for a residence permit for Finland if the stay exceeds 3 months.

If you have already been granted a residence permit for Finland, it may include a right to work.

  • If you have been granted a residence permit on the basis of family ties, your right to work and study in Finland is not limited in any way.
  • If your residence permit if for Studies, you may work for an average of 25 hours per week during the academic terms. You can work without restrictions at the times when your educational institution offers no instruction, that is, during summer and Christmas holidays.

If your residence permit includes the right to work, you will usually not need a separate permit for work.


20014 Turun yliopisto, Finland
Tel. +358 29 450 5000

People search

Follow us: 
Facebook   Twitter   Instagram   Youtube   LinkedIn
© University of Turku