Studying Contemporary History FAQ

​​I have a question to which I can’t find an answer here, who should I contact and ask?

If the FAQ can’t answer your question and it is relevant to your studies at the department of contemporary history, there are some people within the department you should contact first depending on the nature of the question.

Louis Clerc is in charge of the exchange student system and the students themselves.
Marja Heinonen is the secretary who manages practical issues involving the department’s studies, e.g. enlistments, grades, and so forth.
Samu Kolehmainen runs the East Asian Studies Program.
Mika Suonpää runs the History and Politics of European Integration Program.

They can be contacted with questions through e-mails, phone or by coming to the department during office hours. The FAQ aims to be as thorough and flexible as possible, so maybe your question will be included here later!

Check also the International website of the University to comprehensive information about studying in Finland in general and other issues not specifically dealt with in the department - if after this your questions are still left unanswered, we urge you to contact your tutor or other academic advisors assigned to you during your stay and seek their advice.


How can I come and study Contemporary History at the University of Turku?

Exchange students come to the University of Turku through an exchange programme such as ERASMUS, NORDPLUS, ISEP, a CIMO scholarship or a bilateral agreement between the home institution and the University of Turku. Exchange student application forms can be ordered from the International Office of the University, and are also available through their website during the application period.

When ordering application forms, please remember to specify that you are applying through a formal exchange agreement. Please view the application instructions and advice for preparing your ECTS learning agreement. Remember to include the enclosures: the transcript of records and the ECTS learning agreements to all the Universities in which you plan to take courses here in Turku! The application deadline is 31.5. for the autumn term and the academic year; and 1.11. for the spring term.


Where can I find suitable courses for my ECTS learning agreement?

The faculty of social sciences offers non-degree programs taught in English and suitable for exchange students: History and Politics of European Integration, East Asian Studies, and Finnish-Nordic Society and Culture.

In addition, there are other courses available in English in the faculty and in the University as a whole. As a common rule, the official language in the University of Turku is Finnish. Thus, a majority of courses are offered only in Finnish. For non-degree programs outside the faculty, consult the non-degree program here. Furthermore, information about master's degree and post-graduate studies can be found here concerning the department and here concerning the entire university.

The students are encouraged to also check the course offerings of the Swedish speaking university Åbo Akademi​.


How can I fit contemporary history into my education? Are there any requirements that need to taken care of?

For detailed information about the requirements for studying contemporary history, please consult the Degree Requirements  –link on the left sidebar. Program coordinators for History and Politics of European Integration and East Asian Studies can answer question regarding the programs, if they are left unanswered.


What are the studying methods here? Are there any differences to the generally used methods in the university?

We have created some guides regarding studying practices at the department of contemporary history that can be located on the sidebar to your left , for example a guide on writing essays and about exam practises.  Additional information about practices in the University can be found on some of the Useful Links found on the right sidebar, but as a rule they should only complement – not override – the department’s own practices. If some questions are still left unanswered, you can consult the department staff for clarification (see FAQ question #1).