The Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022 published by the Shanghai Ranking ranked altogether 5,000 universities in 54 subjects. Of these, 1,800 universities received a ranking. The University of Turku was ranked in altogether 24 subjects.
The Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022 took into consideration the quality of research, international collaboration, top research, and esteemed academic recognitions. Altogether 54 subjects in natural sciences, engineering, life sciences, medicine, and social sciences were evaluated.
The University of Turku was listed among the best universities in altogether 24 of the 54 subjects.
– These are good results and promising development in many of our disciplines. Congratulations and thanks to our research and teaching staff, as well as our supporting staff! Doing well in international rankings is the result of the meritorious work of our entire university community, says Rector Jukka Kola.
The University of Turku managed to improve its ranking in five subjects. New subjects in the ranking among the best 500 in the world were Computer Science & Engineering, Law, and Library & Information Science. The subjects with best rankings were mostly also at the top in Finland last year.
Examples from Rankings of the University of Turku:
The University of Turku was the best Finnish university in Nursing, where the overall ranking was 51–75 as well as Food Science & Technology (ranking 51–75) and Medical Technology (ranking 101-150).
The University was the second best among Finnish universities in Dentistry & Oral Sciences, where the world ranking was 51–75.
The University was also the second best in Finland in Ecology (151–200), and in Human Biological Sciences (201–300).
All the rankings of the University of Turku (ranking among Finnish universities in brackets):
- Food Science & Technology 51–75 (1)
- Biotechnology 301–400 (3–4)
- Computer Science & Engineering 401–500 (5–6)
- Mathematics 301–400 (4)
- Geography 151–200 (3)
- Ecology 151–200 (2)
- Biological Sciences 201–300 (4–6)
- Human Biological Sciences 201–300 (2)
- Agricultural Sciences 301–400 (3)
- Clinical Medicine 301–400 (3–4)
- Public Health 201–300 (3–5)
- Dentistry & Oral Sciences 51–75 (2)
- Nursing 51–75 (1)
- Medical Technology 101–150 (1)
- Pharmacology & Pharmacological Sciences 151–200 (3)
- Economics 401–500 (3–4)
- Law 201–300 (2–4)
- Political Sciences 201–300 (2–4)
- Education 101–150 (4–5)
- Communication 101–150 (3–4)
- Psychology 301–400 (3–4)
- Business Administration 201–300 (4)
- Management 401–500 (3–6)
- Library & Information Science 51–75 (2–3)
The ranking has been published by the ShanghaiRanking Consultancy since 2009.