Areas of expertise
Full Professor of Surgery, University of Turku, Finland, August 2017 - to present
Full Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Oulu, Finland, February 2015 - to present
Head, Cardiac Surgery, Helsinki University Hospital, Finland, February 2020 - to present
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Licentiate of Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy Jul 1993
Doctor of Medical Sciences, University of Helsinki, Finland Apr 2000
Specialist in General Surgery, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy Oct 2000
Specialist in Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Oulu, Finland Dec 2004
Supervisor for doctoral dissertation
1. Jarmo Lahtinen, University of Oulu, Finland Nov 2007
2. Jouni Heikkinen, University of Oulu, Finland Jan 2008
3. Terhi Nevala, University of Oulu, Finland Mar 2010
4. Eeva-Maija Kinnunen, University of Oulu, Finland Dec 2015
5. Antonino Rubino, University of Oulu, Finland Jun 2016
6. Matti-Aleksi Mosorin, University of Oulu, Finland Aug 2016
7. Tuomas Tauriainen, University of Oulu, Finland Jun 2017
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR OF MULTICENTER STUDIES
1. Multicenter study on the treatment of esophageal perforation (completed).
2. Finnish multicenter study on the impact of antithrombotics in coronary surgery (completed).
3. Finnish multicenter study on the results of the Zenith stent-graft in the endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysm (completed).
4. Finnish multicenter study on the results of open repair of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm in octogenarians (completed).
5. European multicenter study on the treatment of coronary artery disease in patients ages 50 years or younger (CRAGS registry, ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01838746) (completed).
6. European multicenter study on the safety and efficacy of the sutureless aortic valve prosthesis Perceval (completed).
7. E-CABG registry: European multicenter study on the early and late outcome after coronary surgery (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02319083 ) (started on January 2015, database ready, 21 studies accomplished so far, on-going).
8. FinnValve Registry: Finnish nationwide registry on surgical and transcatheter aortic valve replacement (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03385915) (started on January 2018, database ready for analyses).
9. European multicentre registry on postcardiotomy extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03508505 ) (started on March 2018, database ready for analyses)
10. Italian natiowide prospective study on the early and late outcome after transcatheter aortic valve replacement (OBSERVANT 2 registry - co-principal investigator) (started on January 2017).
11. European registry of ECMO in severe COVID-19 patients (ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT04383678)
Fausto Biancari has performed pre-publication review of 660 (400 verified) articles for 57 different peer-review journals (data from Publons: https://publons.com/author/1185864/fausto-biancari#stats)
Fausto Biancari has been involved in teaching of adult cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery and vascular surgery.
Fausto Biancari is mainly interested in clinical research. His studies focused on the identification of risk factors and mechanisms underlying the development of adverse events after invasive treatment in the fields of cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery, vascular surgery, general surgery and cardiology.
Currently his studies focus on the evaluation of new technologies in the fields of cardiac surgery, interventional cardiology and critical care. These studies are performed in an European multicentre setting.
He is the principal investigator of the PC-ECMO registry, which includes patients who underwent extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation after adult cardiac surgery from 19 European centers (Finland, Sweden, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic).
He is the principal investigator of the E-CABG registry, which evaluates the early and late outcome of patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting in 16 European centers (Finland, Sweden, UK, France, Germany, Italy).
He is the principal investigator of the FinnValve registry, which is a Finnish nationwide registry evaluating the outcome of patients who underwent surgical or transcatheter aortic valve replacement for aortic valve stenosis in 5 Finnish University Hospitals (Helsinki, Kuopio, Oulu, Tampere, Turku).
He si currently planning a Finnish nationwide registry including all surgical and interventional cardiologic interventions for coronary artery disease and structural heart diseases.