Study Recognition
The MID Consortium is committed to promote ECTS (European  Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) within the partner universities and to mobile students.
All European partners follow ECTS system, and also many Third Country partners are either fully or partially in the system. All partners are committed to study recognition at least in Diploma Supplement.

ECTS Key Features

ECTS is a learning-centred system for credit accumulation and transfer based on the transparency of learning outcome and learning process. It aims to facilitate planning, delivery, evaluation, recognition and validation of qualifications and units of learning as well as student mobility.
ECTS credits are based on the work load students need in order to achieve expected learning outcomes. Workload indicates the time students need to complete all learning activities, such as lectures,seminars, group-work, required to achieve the expected learning outcomes. Typically 60 ECTS credits are attached to the workload of a full-time studies per academic year (30 ECTS per semester).

Learning Agreement

Learning Agreement is a list of course units or other educational components the student is planning to take at the other institution, and the course codes and the ECTS credits allocated to the components. An ECTS Learning Agreement must be signed by the home institution, the host institution and the student. It is a binding agreement between all three parties: the host commit itself to register the incoming student in the planned course(s) and to provide the required learning activities; the home institution grants the recognition of the credits gained at the other institution.

How to Prepare ECTS Learning Agreement (guidelines for non-degree students)

ECTS Learning Agreement is one of the selection criteria of EMA2 students and therefore it is essential to prepare it well. Programmes and courses for exchange students are usually described on partner university's website, please see Study and Research Opportunities.
Course selection at host university is usually quite free and students can take courses at many faculties with some restrictions provided that they meet the prerequisites for the course. In case you cannot find course guide for next academic year or you wish to receive further information on study offers, contact the host university. Some prerequisites for attending courses can exist and the amount of students can be limited, therefore all applicants might not be accepted.
Once you have acquainted yourself with host university's course selection, list desired courses with codes and amount of ECTS credits on Learning Agreement (30 ECTS per semester). Contact your home university's ECTS contact person (or equivalent) for signatures. Submit completed study plan together with rest of your application materials to the Coordinator. If you become selected for the grant, your study plan is processed by the hosting university.

Changes to the Learning Agreement

Mobile students often notice that they would like to make changes to their original study plan. For example, they might find new information concerning the programme of the semester in question or the courses they had already agreed to are not quite what they expected. In most institutions students may change their original study plans but this must be done during the first month of their exchange period . The Changes to the Learning Agreement is compulsory for students if they wish to change their preliminary  study plan.

Transcript of Records

All MID partner universities issue a Transcript of Records for each student at the end of the study period. This is an essential document for students and institutions as it ensures that students have an accurate and up-to-date record of their academic progress, the educational components they have taken, the number of achieved ECTS credits and the grades they have been awarded.
Reference: ECTS Users' Guide 2009

Recognition of Studies Abroad

The Learning Agreement together with the Transcript of Records is designed to quarantee full recognition of the programmes of study undertaken in the host institution. Once student has completed mobility period abroad s/he can apply study recogonition of credits from host institution. The approval process of studies completed at foreign university varies from university to university. To find out how to get the studies recogonised contact your home university's International Office or student advisors at our home department or faculty.

20014 Turun yliopisto, Finland
Tel. +358 29 450 5000

People search

Follow us: 
Facebook   Twitter   Instagram   Youtube   LinkedIn
© University of Turku