Financial Matters

In general you should have minimum 600 €/month/person in your use. This amount covers only the most necessary costs and does not include leisure activities. Please note that there will be some extra costs right in the beginning of your stay but some of those fees are refundable and several of them are optional.

The easiest and cheapest way to pay your bills is online services of Finnish banks. Please note that in Finland it is not possible to pay with cheque. Opening a bank account is a good option if you are staying in Finland for more than a few months and it is free of charge. With the bank account you usually get an ATM-card for cash withdrawals and a possibility for paying of bills through on-line services. Service fees will vary from bank to bank. When opening an account the bank needs your personal data, relevant documents, passport/ID, Finnish ID code and address in Finland.

Living costs

  • There are no tuition fees for exchange students coming to the University of Turku under student exchange agreements.
  • Some degree students pay tuition fees from 2017 onwards. This does not apply to citizens of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
  • Membership of the Student Union is 81,50 € / Academic Year and 55 € / Autumn Semester in 2020 - 2021. The membership fee of the Student Union is obligatory for degree students but voluntary for exchange students. Nevertheless, it is recommended for all because of the excellent benefits.
  • Master's and Bachelor's degree students are entitled to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS) and must pay a healthcare fee to Kela once per term. You do not have to pay the healthcare fee if you have social security coverage from another EU/EEA country or from Switzerland or the United Kingdom. In 2022, the fee is 35,80 € per term.
  • The student card - you can download the Frank App after paying the Student Union Membership fee. It will take few days before your payment information is tranferred from the UTU study register to Frank.
  • Books and materials are usually available in the libraries. If copies are handed out by teachers, it might cost a few euros.

For non-EU citizens the cost of visa/residence permit varies depending on the home country. More information on the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.

Residence permits for students are normally granted for one year at a time. Income is investigated in connection with every application. In Finland you must take responsibility for supporting yourself. Make sure that your finances will be sufficient for the entire period of your studies.

Cost of living per month:

Student housing ​285 - 500 €
Food 250-300 €
Local transportation 40 €
Miscellaneus 100-200 €
Total 600-900 €
  • The rent for the student housing is about 285-500 €/month. Depending on the housing provider there may be an additional 60 € admission fee (paid only once) and a deposit fee (250€ -500€). The deposit fee will be paid from the home country, and it will be returned to the student at the end of the study period.
  • The Starting Package for exchange students is 70 € and includes a 50 € deposit which will be refunded if all the items are returned clean and in good condition. This package contains some useful household items such as plates, cups, curtains, pillow, blanket etc. (This service is optional and only for the members of the Student Union.)
  • Meals cost 2,70 € in student cafeterias with a student card.
  • A bus card (student priced) for the local buses costs 38 €/month.
  • Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS) is for students who have paid the obligatory student healthcare fee to Kela (you do not have to pay the healthcare fee if you have social security coverage from another EU/EEA country or from Switzerland or the United Kingdom). Most services are free of charge (e.g. consultations with a general practitioner and laboratory tests). Specialist and dentist appointments cost 18 € or more, depending on the time needed.
  • The CampusSport fee (optional) for the whole Academic Year 2019-20 is 66 € and 44 € for one semester.

Examples of prices in grocery store

Bananas (1 kg) 1,5 €
Carrots (1 kg) 2 €
Chocolate bar (200 g) 2 €
Eggs (10) 2 €
Filter coffee (1 kg) 3-4 €
Milk / Soy milk (1 litre) 1 € / 2 €
Minced meat (400g) 3-4 €
Natural yogurt (1 litre) 2 €
Rice (1 kg) 2 €
Sliced bread (500g) 2 €
Spaghetti (1 kg) 1,5 €

Financing your studies

Tuition fees and scholarships (Master's and Bachelor's degree students)

There are no tuition fees for exchange students, doctoral students and for degree students who study in Finnish.

In our Master's and Bachelor's Degree Programmes (conducted in English) tuition fees are charged from citizens of a country outside the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

  • Those subject to tuition fees can apply for a scholarship which covers 100% or 50% of the fee.
  • At the moment there are no living cost scholarships available. However, the Finland Scholarship (available in application rounds 2022, 2023, and 2024) includes a one-off 5,000 € relocation grant to cover some living expenses at the beginning of your studies.
  • Please see more information about the fees and scholarships.
Other scholarships

Scholarships and grants administered by the University of Turku

Scholarships and grants for university registered students and researchers are distributed each year from the funds administrated by the University of Turku. Many scholarship funds have special preconditions required of the recipients. Scholarship possibilities are announced in the spring semester in March and the application deadline is in April. Information, instructions and application forms for international students can be found in Intranet.

National Union of University Students in Finland

Scholarships on the SYL Webpage


Many students in Finland finance their studies with part-time jobs. However, you should not completely rely on finding a job and being able to finance your living that way. Finding a job requires activity and initiative and many employers require their staff to know Finnish. Unlike in many countries, job opportunities in campus are uncommon.

The Career Services of the University of Turku advises and assists you at key stages of the job-seeking process. City of Turku also provides help and information for job-seekers.

State financial aid for students

The right of non-Finnish citizens to receive student financial aid from the Finnish State is decided on a case-by-case basis. The basic criterion is that to receive financial support, the student must have permanent status residency, which is based on a reason other than studying (e.g. a family connection such as marriage or co-habiting status). A full description of the right to receive student financial aid is available on the website of the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (KELA).