Joint Applied Mathematics and Statistics Seminar
Joint Applied Mathematics and Statistics Seminar (post graduate studies, 5 ects, SMAT5220)
To students: In order to get 5 study points from the seminar you have to attend 10 seminars and give one presentation. This seminar is for postgraduate students only.The 10 seminars can also include other seminars than applied mathematics seminars. For example there are some optimization related seminars at Åbo Akademi. You should always discuss with Yury Nikulin (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Marko Mäkelä (email@example.com) whether a seminar can be included or not. However, the presentation should always be given at Applied Mathematics seminar at the University of Turku. When you want to give a presentation, please, contact Yury.
Joint Applied Mathematics and Statistics Seminar for Major Students (advanced studies, 2 ects, SMAT5304)
To students: In order to get 2 study points from seminars you have to attend 5 seminars and write a learning diary (see http://napsu.karmitsa.fi/courses/seminar/) from all of them. The diary may be written either in English or in Finnish, and it should be returned to Yury within one week from the seminar.The seminars are mostly the same as the above mentioned joint applied mathematics and statistics seminars smat5220. If the seminar cannot be included it will be announced in the seminar invitation
New Rule: For those major and graduate students who are not able to attend seminar regularly, we give 1 study point for giving one talk at our seminar
List of speakers and talks
Timo Laukkanen, "Synthesis and optimization of industrial and communal energy systems", 31 March 2017 Tapio Pahikkala, "On performing ROC Analysis with Leave-Pair-Out
Cross-Validation", 23 March 2017
Henri Pesonen, "“What are you looking at?", 8 December 2016
Evgeny Gurevsky, ""Some contributions to combinatorial problems of risk handling with budget constraint and controllable data"", 31 October 2016
Prof. Montaz Ali, "L-infinity norm solution of an under-determined system", 29 September 2016
Maiju Pesonen, "Are they talking to each other or not? - A journey to genome wide modelling of epistasis", 15 September 2016
Bogdan Iancu, Emilia Kozlowska "Inferring molecular interactions from phosphoproteomics data", 02 June 2016
Teemu Linkosaari, "Three dimensional bin packing problem with a stability rejection criterion", 12 May 2016
Jing Tang, "Mathematical modeling for the rational selection of personalized cancer drug combinations", 28 April 2016
Bogdan Iancu, "Optimization of drug combinations", 17 March 2016
Tapio Pahikkala, "Fast Kronecker product kernel methods via sampled vec trick", 03 March 2016
Maria Jaakola, "Validating a hypothetical pathway structure by mechanistic modeling", 25 February 2016
Markus Matilainen, "Some independent component analysis tools for time series data", 04 February 2016
Joni Virta, "Independent component analysis for tensor-valued data", 21 January 2016
Ilmari Ahonen, "On the high-throughput analysis of patient-derived high-content cancer micro tissue cultures", 10 December 2015
Sean Robinson, "Segmentation of image data from 3D in vitro co-culture models with Markov random fields", 26 November 2015
Matti Heikkonen, "Portfolio risk estimation based on independent component analysis", 12 November 2015
Prof. Joe Wakano, "Evolutionary branching in deme-structured populations", 3 November 2015
- Jaakko Ahola, "Konttilaivaston reittioptimoinnista" 23 October 2015
M.Sc. Alaleh Maskooki, "Application of Mathematical Programming in Pattern Recognition", 15 October 2015
- M.Sc. Petra Virjonen, (Finnish Occupational Health Institute) "Optimized reference spectrum for rating the airborne sound insulation in buildings for neighbor noise", 8 October 2015
- M.Sc. Teemu Daniel Laajala, "Improving the Design and Analysis of Preclinical Experiments, 17 September 2015
- Seppo Pulkkinen: "Improving Radar-based Rainfall Measurements by Modern Statistical Methods", 10 October, 2014, time: 14:15.
- Ph.D. Akram Dehnokhalaji (Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran): "Characterizing a subset of the PPS maintaining the reference hyperplane of the radial projection point", 11 September 2014.
- Prof. Tero Aittokallio: "From drug sensitivity to target networks: multi-target modeling of treatment response", 10 May 2014.
- Fatemehsadat Seyednasrollah: "A Comprehensive Comparison of the state of the art methods in RNA-seq Analysis"", 11 April 2014.
- Prof. Hans Metz (Leiden University): "The interplay of infectivity that decreases with virulence and limited cross-immunity: (toy) models for respiratory disease evolution", 10 February 2014.
For more information on seminars in 2014 see also http://napsu.karmitsa.fi/courses/seminar/
- Ph.D. Kirill Kuzmin (Belarusian State University, Minsk) "Stability Analysis for Vector Discrete Optimization Problem" and M.Sc. Vladimir Korotkov (Belarusian State University, Minsk) "Markowitz's Investment Problem under Multicriteria, Uncertainty and Risk", 13 December 2013.
- Kaisa Joki: "Nonsmooth optimization: Bundle Methods" and Outi Wilppu: "Two-Slope Parameterized Achievement Scalarizing Functions for Multiobjective Optimization", 01 November 2013.
- Prof. Adil Bagirov, "Nonsmooth Optimization Models in Data Mining" 29 August 2013.
- Ville-Pekka Eronen, " Extended cutting plane metod for MINLP and its variations generalized to deal with nonsmooth functions ", 07 June 2013
- M.Sc. Anne Seppänen , " Evolution of density-dependent cooperation and the origin of multicellularity", 25 April 2013
- Dr. Stefan Emet , " A million-pound problem formulation ", 22 March 2013
- Sami Hokuni, " Neural networks with application to Finnish insurance company", 15 March 2013
- M.Sc. Pekka Matomäki , " Optimal stopping near boundaries", 08 March 2013
- M.Sc Outi Wilppu . " Multiple gradient descent algorithm ", 01 March 2013
- Dr. Napsu Karmitsa , " Nonsmooth Optimization in 30 minutes ", 15 February 2013
- M.Sc. Seppo Pulkkinen , " Optimization Algorithms for Scalable and Robust Dimensionality Reduction ", 8 February 2013
- M.Sc. Sergii Pidlisnyi (Dnepropetrovsk State University,Ukraine), " Mathematical modeling and definition of surface strengthening best temperature conditions ", 1 February 2013
- Prof. Alex Kruger (University of Ballarat, Australia), " Stationarity and regularity of infinite collections of sets ", 28 June 2012
- M.Sc. Olga Karelkina , " Interactive method based on parameterized achievement scalarizing function for multicriteria median location problem ", 21 June 2012
- Dr. Yury Nikulin , " On Accuracy and Robustness in vector Boolean optimization ", 25 May 2012
- M.Sc. Essi Laajala , " Type 1 diabetes biomarkers in human whole blood transcriptome ", 20 April 2012
- M.Sc. Antti Nurkkala , " Method for Nonlinear Segmentation of Data Using Gaussian Mixture Models ", 23 March 2012
- M.Sc. Anne Seppänen , " Evolution of complex density-dependent dispersal strategies ", 02 March 2012
- M.Sc. Pekka Matomäki , " On solvability of a two-sided singular optimal control problem ", 03 February 2012
- M.Sc. Seppo Pulkkinen , " Mode-Finding of Gaussian Mixtures ", 13 January 2012
The members of our group also help to organize and coordinate the regular Seminar on Optimization. The seminar is jointly hosted by Christer Carlsson
(Åbo Academy), Marko Mäkelä
(University of Turku) and Tapio Westerlund
The seminar is open for public and all interested in optimization and related areas are most welcome!
List of speakers and talks
- Prof. Ignacy Kaliszewski (Systems Research Instutute Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland), "Multiobjective Optimisation and Multiple Criteria Decision Making between Scylla and Charybdis", 24 May 2013
- Prof. Alex Kruger (University of Ballarat, Australia), "Stationarity and regularity of infinite collections of sets", 28 June 2012
- Prof. Hans-Jurgen Sebastian (RWTH Aachen University ), " Recent advances in strategic and tactical planning of optimal postal networks", 11 May 2012
- Dr. Michael Bussieck (GAMS Development Corporation), "GAMS - striving for innovation and compatibility", 1 December 2011
- Prof. Christer Carlsson (Åbo Academy), "Decision analytics - the new business version of classical optimization", 9 February 2011
- Prof. Adil M. Bagirov (University of Ballarat, Australia), "Truncated codifferential method", 2 July 2010
- Dipl.-Inform. Christian Reitwiessner(University of Würzburg, Germany), "Multi-objective combinatorial optimization: the traveling salesman problem and variants", 26 March 2010
- Prof.Ruben Lopez ( Universidad Católica de la Santísima. Concepción, Chile), " Equilibrium problems: Stability, approximate solutions, well-posedness, and numerical methods ", 26 February 2010
- Prof. Robert Fullér (FIDIPRO, Åbo Academy), "On possibilistic mean value, variance, covariance and correlation of fuzzy numbers", 28 January 2010
- M.Sc. Seppo Pulkkinen (University of Turku, Finland), "A new software package for nonlinear optimization", 6 November 2009
- Prof. Kaisa Miettinen (University of Jyväskylä, Finland), "NAUTILUS and other interactive methods for nolinear multiobjective optimization", 3 June 2009
- Prof. Mario Fedrizzi (University of Trento, Italy), "Dynamic Consensus in group decision making", 5 May 2009
- Prof. Montaz M. Ali (University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa),
"A parameter-free penalty function based differential evolution for nonlibearly constrained global optimization", 23 January 2009