Questions and answers concerning applying

What is the difference between applying for a study right and applying for a study right and a funded position?

We have application periods twice a year for the study rights of doctoral degrees. Students admitted are granted a study right to conduct doctoral studies leading to the Doctor's degree. 

We invite applications once a year (early Autumn) to University of Turku Graduate School (UTUGS) funded Doctoral Candidate positions. As a result of the selection process the best applicants are employed to doctoral candidate positions at the Turku School of Economics, University of Turku and granted a study right to postgraduate studies unless they already hold one. An applicant for the funded doctoral candidate positions who does not hold a right to pursue a doctoral degree must apply for the study right at the same time as he/she applying for the funded position. A study right is a precondintion for being appointed for a funded doctoral candidate position.

Do I need to contact a professor at TSE to agree on supervision before applying?

You may do so, if you wish, but it is not required. Supervisors are appointed for each new doctoral student when admitted as a doctoral student to Turku School of Economics.

I have several years of work experience as a university lecturer in English language from my home country. Do I need to prove my language skills with an English proficiency test?
All foreign applicants are required to verify their English language proficiency. Read more information on English language proficiency requirements from Selection criteria to postgraduate studies at TSE.

Can you please check my transcript of records and degree certificate and tell me  if I am eligible for applying?
The eligibility criteria is stated under How to apply. Unfortunately due to lack of resources we do not check previous studies before the application deadlines. The eligility of all applicants is checked during the admission process.

Application enclosures include: Officially verified copy of the degree certificate. What does "officially verified" mean?
All photocopies must be officially certified (legalized), i.e. they must bear the stamp and signature of an official entitled to attest documents: an authorized school of university official, a notary public, a commissioner of oaths etc. TSE does not certify any documents or photocopies. The copy of the degree certificate can be officially verified by the school or university (e.g. institution) that has granted the degree. For example in Finland copies can also be officially verified in the Local Register Office (Maistraatti) by Notary Public.

What should I include in my research plan?
A high-quality (max 10 page) research plan is essential for succeeding in the tough competition for admission. The research plan should be prepared baring in mind that TSE will evaluate the suitability of your research topic in relation to the research profile and expertise of the major subject and its faculty. Please, read instructions from Preparing your research plan.


Questions and answers concerning funding of the studies

Does University of Turku provide funding for doctoral students?

Doctoral students are responsible for financing their own studies. University of Turku charges no tuition fees, but you have to finance your living costs as well as your own research. There are different possibilities to get funding for your doctoral studies:
  • Scholarships from different foundations
  • Working in a research project
  • Full-time employment in University of Turku (TSE)
  • Funding for international students e.g. CIMO
  • Funding to visit foreign universities
Further information on the financing of studies is also available on the web pages of the University of Turku.

Can I work elsewhere (outside the university) during my doctoral studies?
Yes, working alongside with your studies is possible. Please note, that the progression of your research and studies will probably be affected by this and the completion time of the degree will be longer. As a rule the doctoral degree can be completed in four years when studying full-time. In admission of doctoral candidates as a rule priority is given to applicants pursuing full-time doctoral studies.