Research Presentation in Three Minutes – Cheer Your Favourite to Victory in the 3MT Competition Finals 5 March
Who can summarise their research in the most compelling way in only three minutes? Come and find out in the University’s fourth Three Minute Thesis competition on Thursday 5 March. The competition is held at Turku School Economics in the OP lecture hall at 12.15pm, and the event is open for the public.
The winner will represent the University of Turku in the international 3MT competition organised by the Coimbra Group. The audience gets to vote for their favourite in the People’s Choice. The event is hosted by two former UTU 3MT winners, Khalil Shahramian (2018) and Tarek Omran (2017).
3MT is an academic competition developed by the Queensland University in Australia. In the competition, doctoral candidates compete by presenting their research topic and its significance within three minutes. The presentations are held in English. The winner of the final will participate in an international 3MT competition with a video. The competition is organised by the Coimbra Group.
NEW IN 2020 – SANORD 3MT: Southern African – Nordic Centre (SANORD) has launched its first ever three minute thesis completion amongst its members. One of the UTU finale presentations will participate in the international SANORD competition where a panel evaluates submitted presentations and power point slides (one per student). The prize includes 3-minute presentation at the annual SANORD conference and a scholarship, which covers conference fee, travel, accommodation, visa costs. More information about SANORD or SANORD 3MT.
The finalists are
- Annika Nivala, Turku School of Economics
- Natalia Chitalkina, Faculty of Education
- Linnea Blåfield, Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Shruti Jain, Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Roosa Wingström, Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Uruj Fatima Sarwar, Faculty of Medicine
- Laura Ivaska, Faculty of Humanities
- Pablo Pérez Chaves, Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Johannes Routila, Faculty of Medicine
- Richard Aarnio, Faculty of Medicine
The judges will choose the winner who will represent the University of Turku in the international 3MT competition held by the Coimbra Group and the audience gets to vote for their favourite in the People’s Choice. This year, the panel of judges includes Senior Advisor Riitta Pyykkö, Professor Ilari Sääksjärvi from the Biodiversity Unit and the Director of Centre of Language and Communication Studies Michael Nelson.
The programme of the finals
- Welcome: Professor Pirjo Nuutila, Director of the University of Turku Graduate School (UTUGS)
- Planet Unknown: Presentation by Professor Ilari Sääksjärvi (10-15 min)
- Introduction of the judging panel: Senior Advisor Riitta Pyykkö, Professor Ilari Sääksjärvi and Director of the Centre of Language and Communication Studies Michael Nelson
- 3 Minute Thesis presentations
Break (20 minutes) – Voting for the People’s Choice & Refreshments
- Declaration of the Winner, Runner-up, SANORD-winner and the People’s Choice: the Judging Panel
- Distribution of Prizes: Pirjo Nuutila, Director of the University of Turku Graduate School (UTUGS)