Organisation and Management of the University of Turku
The University Collegiate Council consists of 30 members who all have their personal substitute members. Ten of the members represent the University’s professors, ten other teaching and research personnel as well as other staff, and ten represent students. The term of the Collegiate Council is four years but the term of the student members is two years.
The remit of the University Collegiate council is to
- decide the number of University board members, the length of the term of office for both the Board and its members, as well as decide on the salary of the Chair of the Board and its members
- select the members to the University Board who do not represent the University’s personnel or students
- validate the selection of the University’s representatives as members of the Board as intended in Subsection 2, Section 15 of the Universities Act
- release a member of the Board from their duties according to the Board’s motion
- select the University’s auditors
- approve the University’s financial statement and annual report, as well as decide on granting an exemption from liability to the Rector and the members of the Board
- decide on filing an action for damages against a member of the Board, the Rector, and auditor
- decide on releasing a member of the Board from their duties according to Subsection 3, Section 65 of the Universities Act
- if necessary, meet and discuss significant issues that apply to the entire University.
The University Collegiate Council selects among itself a chair and vice chair.
Members and substitutes of the University Collegiate Council
The following members and vice members (vice members in brackets) have been selected to the Collegiate Council for the term 1 January 2018–31 December 2021. Professor Kari Lukka is the Chair of the Collegiate Council. Vice Chair is Bachelor of Psychology Inari Harjuniemi, and the second Vice Chair is University Lecturer Ari Lehtonen.
Representatives of professors:
- Marja-Liisa Helasvuo (Joel Kuortti)
- Veijo Jormalainen (Risto Kalliola)
- Anne Kumpula (Johanna Niemi)
- Helena Leino-Kilpi (Eija Könönen)
- Ilmo Leivo (Juha Peltonen)
- Kari Lukka (Satu Teerikangas)
- Marko Mäkelä (Kalevi Kokko)
- Risto Rinne (Mirjamaija Mikkilä-Erdmann)
- Suvi-Tuulia Salmenniemi (Maija Setälä)
- Kirsi Vainio-Korhonen (Helena Ruotsala)
Representatives of teaching and research personnel and other personnel:
- Marjo Helander (Anna Karhu)
- Mika Keränen (Juha Ylisalo)
- Riina Keto-Tokoi (Tarja Virta)
- Sanna Kuusjärvi (Minna Ketola)
- Ari Lehtonen (Heli Virtanen)
- Tiina Lintunen (Janne Skaffari)
- Ulla Nygrén (John Smeds)
- Antti Pajala (Elina Valovirta)
- Anna Sivula (Elina Pelto)
- Minna Vuorio-Lehti (Tomi Westerlund)
Student representatives 1 January 2018–31 December 2019:
- Tuomas Dahlström (Ilari Sarja)
- Inari Harjuniemi (Petriina Lemettinen)
- Tira Kivilähde (Saana Kallio)
- Petri Nyström (Jenni Kilpi)
- Sini Saarinen (Tero Ohrankämmen)
- Iiro Salomäki (Lotta Lintunen)
- Joni Järvinen (Paula Pättikangas)
- Tapani Strander (Simo Nuuttila)
- Henri Viitanen (Miika Tiainen)
- Matias Virta (Moona Haapala)
The University Board is the highest decision-making organ in the University. The Collegiate Council decides on the number of the Board members, the members to the University Board who do not represent the University’s personnel or students, and the length of the term of office for both the Board and its members.
The duties of the University Board are outlined in Section 11 of the University of Turku Rules of Procedure.
Board Members starting from 1 January 2018
The term of the Board is four years but the term of the student members is two years.
- Mayor Ritva Viljanen, chair
- Professor Mats Brommels, vice chair
- Executive Director Tuuli Kaskinen
- Professor Jukka Mähönen
- Professor Pekka Vallittu
- Academy Professor Hannu Salmi
- Information Security Officer Mats Kommonen
- Assistant Professor Maija S. Peltola
- Student Paula Peltomaa 1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2019
- Student Jyri Lähdemaa 1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2019
The secretary of the Board is Head of Unit Eeva Ryödi.
The Rector implements the University strategy by directing the University. He is responsible for the economic, productive and efficient operations of the University. He prepares matters for the discussion and decision for the University Board meetings and implements the decisions of the Board.
- Kalervo Väänänen started as the Rector of the University of Turku on 1 August 2012 and his term lasts until 31 July 2019.
- From 2010, Väänänen acted as the Academic Rector of the University of Eastern Finland. Väänänen worked as Associate Professor at the University of Oulu between 1983 and 1997. He has been Professor of Cell Biology in the University of Turku since 1998. Additionally, Väänänen has acted as the Head of the Institute of Biomedicine at the University of Turku, the Scientific Director of BioCity Turku, and as a member of the Academy of Finland. He has also worked as a visiting researcher in the University of Kansas and as a visiting professor in Uppsala University.
- Väänänen operates in several national and international expert positions and positions of trust. He has received many recognitions and scientific awards. Väänänen has actively developed business applications for research innovations and participated in the founding of research-based businesses.
Jaana Fieandt, tel. +358 29 450 3002, firstname.lastname@example.org
The vice rectors assis the Rector in their duties. Vararehtorin kauden pituus on korkeintaan rehtorin toimikauden pituinen. The term of a vice rector is as long as that of the Rector.
According to the University of Turku Rules of Procedure, the Rector decides the number of vice rectors after hearing the University Board. The Rector selects the vice rectors from vice rector candidates before their term as Rector starts. Before selecting the vice rector(s), the Rector must hear the chair of the University Board.
- Professor Riitta Pyykkö is responsible for education and the development of educational structures. Pyykkö will be the substitute of Rector Väänänen, in case he is unable to take care of his official duties.
- Riitta Pyykkö has been the Professor of the Russian Language of the University of Turku since 1997. Pyykkö has studied, for example, the language of politics, the cultural history of Russia, and the connections between changes in language and culture.
- Professor Kalle-Antti Suominen is responsible for research and the development of research prerequisites.
- Suominen has been the Professor of Physics of the University of Turku since 2000. He has studied especially the interaction of atoms, molecules and radiation in quantum mechanics.
Assistant to the vice rectors:
Päivi Toppinen, tel. 029 450 3862, email@example.com
Director of Development Riitta Mustonen
- Innovations, Entrepreneurship and Transnational Education, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Legal Affairs, email@example.com
- Strategic Planning, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research Career, email@example.com
- Research Development, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research Funding, email@example.com
- Engagement and Impact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chief Operating Officer Päivi Mikkola
- Human Resources, email@example.com
- Study and Work Well-being Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
- IT Services, email@example.com
- Library, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Educational Affairs, email@example.com
- University Support Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facility Services, email@example.com
- safety matters, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chief Financial Officer Siru Helminen
- Controller Services, email@example.com
- Procurement Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accounting and cash management, email@example.com
- Travel Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project Services, email@example.com
- Ledger Services, firstname.lastname@example.org (Purchase Ledger Services) or email@example.com (sales invoices)
- Order and Purchase Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications Director Anne Paasi
- University Communications, email@example.com