Areas of expertise
I hold a doctoral degree (2004) and MSc degree (1997) in Human Geography at University of Turku. The area of specialisation in my doctoral studies was regional development and regional policies. Currently, I work as a university teacher at the Department of Geography and Geology (since Aug 1st, 2023).
Before my present position, I worked as a researcher and project manager Centre for Maritime Studies of Brahea Centre at the University of Turku 2006 - 2023, and (simultaneously) as a university teacher at the University of Turku Open University 2018 - 2023.
During earlier years, I worked as a researcher in Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE) at Research Programme for Environmental Policy (2004-2005), as a researcher/doctoral candidate at University of Turku, Department of Geography (2002-2004), as a researcher at University of Tampere, Department of Regional Studies and Environmental Policy (2001-2002, Academy of Finland project BIAPIA), and as a Project Manager, Loimaa Region Development Centre (1997-1998).
- University of Turku/Open university, Geography, bachelor level course “Introduction to geography ” (5 cu) (MAAN6043), autumn 2019 -
- Open University: Environmental science/Environment and society 5 cu (together with Minna Pappila) since autumn 2018-
- University of Turku/Open university, Geography, bachelor level course ”Social and political Geography ” (MAAN6260) (3 cu) Spring 2019-2022.
- University of Turku/Open university, Geography bachelor level course "The geography of natural resources" (MAAN6055) (4 cu), Spring 2020-
- Supervision of Igne Stalmokaite's Ph.D thesis ”Tracing dynamics of environmental governance and adoption of environmental innovations in Baltic Sea shipping companies” 2017-2021
- Supervision of Daria Gritsenko's Ph.D thesis ”On governance of quality shipping in the Baltic Sea. Exploring collective action in polycentric contexts” 2011-2014.
My on-going research project focus on sustainability and circular economy of plastics (as a part of PlastLIFE project).
My earlier research focused on environmental impacts of shipping, potential to reduce air emissions and the socio-economic implications of emission regulation. My recent peer-reviewed articles have dealt with possibilities to reduce vessel air emissions and energy transition in shipping, sustainability and corporate social responsibility in maritime transport and seaports, maritime governance and regulation, and geographical research.