Areas of expertise
I obtained a PhD degree in Azerbaijan. I have joined the Molecular Plant Biology group at the University of Turku as a postdoctoral research fellow in 2002. In 2009, I was awarded with a Docent title in the field of Bioenergetics. I have been acting as Principal Investigator at the Molecular Plant unit, University of Turku since 2010. Currently I am a Professor of Basic and Applied Photosynthesis. Moreover, I am chairing the Nordic Center of Excellence “Towards Versatility of Aquatic Production Platforms: Unlocking the Value of Nordic Bioresources” (NordAqua, www.nordaqua.fi) funded by NordForsk (2017-2022) and the Biocity Turku Research Programme “Advanced Bioresources and Smart Bioproducts – Towards Sustainable Bioeconomy” (SmartBio, www.smartbio.fi).
I have been involved in teaching 'Advanced photosynthesis' and 'Bioenergetics' courses since 2009. Currently I am responsible for the MSc program line 'Sustainable Biotechnological Bioprocesses'.
My research interests have been mainly focused on plant, algal and cyanobacterial photosynthesis and the alternative electron-transport routes, which are heavily involved in regulation of photosynthesis. Currently our team is investigating (i) the alternative electron transport pathways in cyanobacteria and green algae; (ii) the distribution mechanisms of photosynthetic electrons to hydrogenases (or to nitrogenase in heterocytous cyanobacteria); (iii) development of solid-state cell factories (artificial microfilms of algae and cyanobacteria entrapped in tailored polymeric matrices) for efficient bioproduction; (iv) biodiversity of Nordic cyanobacteria and algae for efficient waste-water remediation, for production of biofuels and high-value products.
Ongoing projects as Principal Investigator/coordinator:
- 2022-2026 - EU Horizon Europe IA, REALM;
- 2023-2025 - Tandem Industry Academia, Finnish Research Impact Foundation, AgriAlga;
- 2022 - Donation from Maa- ja vesitekniikan tuki ry;
- 2022-2025 - EU CSA, SUNER-C;
- 2021-2023 - Research project grant from the Novo Nordisk Foundation - PhotoCat;
- 2020-2023 - EU FET-Open FuturoLEAF consortium;
- 2020-2023 - Research project grant from the Novo Nordisk Foundation - PhotoPro;
- 2020-2024 - OPERA Global Cooperation Program of Japan (University of Tsukuba, AIST Japan and University of Turku);
- 2019-2023 - Academy Project Funding, AlgaLEAF;
- 2018-2022 - Academy Project Funding, Revisiting Photosynthesis;
- 2017-2022 - NordForsk NCoE "NordAqua"
*** Our group is always looking for motivated post-docs and PhD students. If you are interested in any of the research areas we pursue you can contact YAR (allahve[a]utu.fi) along with your CV.
**** M.Sc and B.Sc students who are intrested to do their thesis projects can contact YAR (allahve[a]utu.fi) directly.