UTUPub – University of Turku Repository Privacy notice
Contact information of the data controller
Turku University Library Publication Services (Educarium)
FI-20014 UNIVERSITY OF TURKU FINLAND
Tel: +358 29 450 3712; +358 50 353 7684
Visiting address: Turku University Library Educarium (Assistentinkatu 5)
FI-20014 UNIVERSITY OF TURKU
The National Library of Finland P.O.Box 26 (Kaikukatu 4)
FI-00014 University of Helsinki
Purpose of processing data
The purpose of processing personal data is
- To manage and develop services related to university’s publishing activities and to perform tasks related to the content management and technical development of the UTUPub publication archive.
- To enable the electronic publishing of the University of Turku publications.
- Personal data of the registered users are processed for usage rights management reasons.
University of Turku is the data controller of the UTUPub repository in relation to its own deposited materials. The National Library of Finland carries out the technical maintenance of the UTUPub repository and is also the data controller of personal data related to the services of its customer organisations (University of Turku).
The UTUPub repository acts as a public and open repository for university’s publications (thesis, dissertations, research articles, departmental publications). The aim is to distribute publications so that they could be openly accessible worldwide. The information about the publications can be harvested to other national/international services.
In addition to publication information, the UTUPub repository also collects information about people registered as users in order to manage the service and its content.
In order to search information (publications) from the UTUpub repository, users do not need to register. UTUPub will collect information about log events.
Legal basis for data processing
Processing is based on the main task of the university set out in section 2 of the Universities Act (558/2007) and its implementation and in Article 6.1(b) and 6.1(c) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation: "processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party" and " processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject". http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/6.htm.
Authors of the deposited publications have signed a publishing agreement. With this agreement the author has given the permission to publish the publication in the UTUPub repository.
Personal data categories
Publications: Author, author affiliation (faculty), information about role and, if available, a personal identifier (ISNI, ORCID).
Registered users/data depositers: Name and email address.
Data will be anonymized after more than 12 months have elapsed since the user’s last login.
Repository users: Log information on service use is collected, including the IP address. In addition, data about the documents downloaded from the IP address and the used search terms are collected as well as information on from which web site users navigate to the service.
Personal data is processed by the National Library of Finland and by the customer organisations, whose data is managed in the service.
Source of personal data
Publications: From the data subject himself or herself
Registered users/data depositors: From the data subject himself or herself
UTUPub archive users: According to log entries
Retention period of personal data
Publications and their metadata will be stored permanently in accordance with the Act on Collecting and Preserving Cultural Materials (1433/2007).
Data in the UTUPub repository will be processed by the library’s Publication Services Team. Repository’s publication data can be freely accessed by all users. The techical maintenance of the UTUPub archive is carried out by the National Library of Finland which also processes the personal data related to the services of its customer organisations (University of Turku).
Categories of personal data
Personal data in the UTUPub publication archive will be processed by the library’s Publication Services Team. Repository’s publication data can be freely accessed by all users.
The techical maintenance of the UTUPub archive is carried out by the National Library of Finland which also processes the personal data related to the services of its customer organisations (University of Turku).
Transfer of personal data to a third country
In general, data is not transferred to a third country, except for bibliographic data required for reporting publication information outside.
Right of access, right of correction, right to erasure, right of restriction, right to object
- You have a right to ask the data controller for access to your personal data and a right to have this data rectified or erased and a right to restrict and object the processing of this data. Contact address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Details on the removal of publications from UTUPub have been set out in the publishing agreement.
- You have the right to change the visibility of your master thesis (delivered through the UTUGradu-system). Theses are public documents which can be read/studied by everyone. Permament removal of the document is not possible. Contact address: email@example.com
- Personal information given with the agreement form are required for publishing the publication.
- Information about registered users cannot be deleted, but if necessary, they can be anonymized.
- Contact address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact information of the Data Protection Officer of the University of Turku: email@example.com
- You have the right to file a complaint with the supervisory authority.
- The principles of personal data protection are described on a separate page: https://www.utu.fi/fi/privacy/data-security-description