TSE Economics Research Seminar
SPRING 2022 SCHEDULE
- 18.1. (2 - 3 pm EET) Mikko Silliman (Harvard University) 'Childcare, skills, and the labor market'
- 27.1. (9 - 10 am EET) Jingni Yang (Australian National University) 'Giving According To Agreement' (job talk)
- 27.1. (10 - 11 am EET) Tuomas Matikka (VATT) 'Discrete Labor Supply: Empirical Evidence and Implications' (job talk)
- 1.2. (3 - 4 pm EET) Tuomas Pekkarinen (VATT) 'Pre-college skills and wage differentials' (job talk)
- 1.2. (4 - 5 pm EET) Timo Kuosmanen (Aalto) 'Design Flaw of the Synthetic Control Method' (job talk)
- 8.2. Jussi Honkanen (UTU) 'Equilibrium effects of a firm entry subsidy program'
- 15.2. Sebastian Blesse (ZEW Mannheim) 'Does misinformation undermine policy competition? Survey evidence from German citizens and politicians'
22.2. Jeremias Nieminen (UTU) 'Evolution of intra-party polarization: Evidence from 110 years of parliamentary speech'
1.3. Lukas Laffers (Matej Bel University) 'Double machine learning for sample selection models'
8.3. Tuukka Saarimaa (Aalto) 'The Incidence of Housing Allowances: Quasi-Experimental Evidence'
15.3. Helena Svaleryd (Uppsala University) 'The impact of the COVID-19 school closure on adolescents’ use of mental healthcare services in Sweden'
22.3. Jere Jokinen (UTU) 'Belief in good luck and prior realisations in risk elicitation task' In person: TSE LS13
29.3. Aapo Stenhammar (Aalto) 'New Evidence on the Effect of Technology on Employment and Skill Demand'
5.4. Terhi Ravaska (VATT) 'Financial and non-financial work incentives of disability insurance recipients'
12.4. Antti Kauhanen (ETLA) 'Endogenous Career Mobility Within and Across Firms'
19.4. Tapio Haaga (UTU) 'Cost Sharing and Primary Care Use: An Age–based Regression Discontinuity Design' Hybrid: TSE LS06 & Zoom
26.4. Xiaogeng Xu (Hanken) 'Rank and individual welfare: the view from Finland'
3.5. Markku Siikanen (VATT) 'The Effects of Regulation on Pharmaceutical Prices and Expenditure'
10.5. Edvard Johansson (Åbo Akademi) 'Lost mind, lost job? Effect of mental health on being laid off during downsizings'
17.5. Juho Alasalmi (Konstanz) 'Optimal Contracts with (Self-)deceptive Effort reports'
24.5. Mikael Bask (Uppsala University) 'Skill, Status and the Matthew Effect' Hybrid: TSE LS13 & Zoom
31.5. Eetu Kauria (UTU) 'How municipal mergers affect different neighborhoods?'
Seminar sessions start at 4 pm (unless otherwise stated) and are open to anyone interested!
- 14.9. Leonardo M. Giuffrida (ZEW Mannheim) 'Buyers’ Workload and R&D Procurement Outcomes: Evidence from the US Air Force Research Lab'
- 21.9. Wilma Nissilä (UTU) 'Predicting Business Cycle States by Cointegration'
- 28.9. Kim Ristolainen (UTU) 'A Thousand Words Tell More than just Numbers: Financial Crises and Historical Headlines'
- 5.10. Tolga Benzer (Aalto University) 'Removing Cultural Barriers to Education: State-run Islamic Schools and Female Education in Turkey'
- 12.10. Francesco Lippi (LUISS University) 'Empirical Investigation of a Sufficient Statistic for Monetary Shocks'
- 19.10. Ursina Schaede (University of Zurich) 'Quota vs Quality? Long term effects of a gender quota in Finland'
- 26.10. Salomo Hirvonen (UTU) 'Higher Quality Candidates Enjoying Larger Incumbency Advantage: Testing the Incumbency Advantage Heterogeneity by Differences in Partisan Support'
- 2.11. Esther Mbih (UTU/INVEST) 'Can a Website Bring Unemployment Down? Experimental Evidence from France'
- 9.11. Olli Lappalainen (UTU) 'Communication, Deliberation and Sustainability in an Asymmetric Common Pool Resource Game'
- 16.11. Heikki Kauppi (UTU) 'Estimating Optimal Binary Classification Rules: A Nonparametric Method for Nonmonotonic Density Ratios'
- 23.11. Matias Nunez (CREST) 'Voting by simultaneous vetoes'
- 30.11. Aarni Soppi (UTU) 'Price elasticity of demand for prescription drugs in the Finnish drug reimbursement system'- CANCELLED!
- 7.12. Konstantinos Matakos (King's College London) 'Living through a pandemic: How do economic and health concerns affect social capital and policy preferences'
- 14.12. Hector Bahamonde (UTU/INVEST) 'Parties and Voters At Risk: Vote Buying and Selling in the Lab, A Prospect Theory Approach'
- 12.1. Ville Vehkasalo (UTU) : Effects of face‑to‑face counselling on unemployment rate and duration
- 19.1. Jaakko Meriläinen (ITAM) : The Violent Origins of Finnish Equality
- 25.1. Elisabetta Leni (Essex) : Heterogeneity of Incentive Effects on Elicited Guilt Aversion
- 26.1. Essi Kujansuu (EUI) : Choice Architecture and Transparency
- 2.2. Francesco Zanetti (Oxford Uni.) : Dependence of Fiscal Multipliers: the Source of Fluctuations Matters
- 9.2. Janne Tukiainen (UTU) : Pre-Electoral Coalitions: Insights into the Creation of Political Parties
- 16.2. Kristiina Huttunen (VATT) : The Effect of Home Care Allowance on Child Outcomes
- 2.3. Riccardo Saulle (Uni. Padova) : Myopic Oligopoly Pricing
- 9.3. Martti Kaila (Uni. Helsinki) : The Crime Ladder: Estimating the Impact of Different Punishments on Defendant Outcomes
- 16.3. Matti Sarvimäki (Aalto Uni.) : The Making of Social Democracy: The Economic and Electoral Consequences of Norway’s 1936 Folk School Reform
- 23.3. Johannes Räsänen (UTU) : Labor Market Effects of Forced Displacement: Quasi-experimental evidence from internal migration in Ukraine
- 30.3. Anders Kock (Oxford Uni.) : Consistency of p-norm based tests in high-dimensions: characterization, monotonicity, domination
- 6.4. Arduino Tomasi (LSE) : Brains or Muscles? A Political Economy of Tax Evasion
- 13.4. Henri Salokangas (UTU) : Spillover Effects of Health Shocks: Evidence from Cancer Diagnoses
- 20.4. Mehmet Barlo (Sabanci University) : Implementation with Missing Data
- 27.4. Satu Metsälampi (UTU) : Causal study on the effects of relative income information – interim results from the pilot study
- 4.5. Erik Mäkelä (UTU) : Housing markets and capitalization of information: Case of land leases
- 11.5. Efrem Castelnuovo (Padova) : Sectoral Uncertainty
- 18.5. Juha Laine (Roche/UTU) : Features of price regulation and price setting of pharmaceuticals in Finland
- 25.5. Ritesh Jain (Academia Sinica) : A systematic test of the Independence Axiom near certainty
- 22.9. Joonas Uotinen (UTU): On the relativity, and ecological unsustainability of subjective well-being
- 29.9. Martin Ellison (University of Oxford): The Ends of 39 Big Recessions
- 6.10. Tanja Saxell (VATT): Information integration, coordination failures, and quality of prescribing
- 13.10. Oskari Vähämaa (Uni. Helsinki): Uncertainty, Misallocation and the Life-cycle Growth of Firms
- 20.10. Teemu Lyytikäinen (VATT): Tax Compliance in the Rental Housing Market: Evidence from a Field Experiment
- 27.10. Sander Ramboer (VATT): The Impact of Local Property Taxation on Firm Growth and Location: Evidence from Flanders
- 3.11. Markus Haavio (Suomen Pankki): Reading between the lines – Using text analysis to estimate the loss function of the ECB
- 10.11. Shigeru Fujita (FED Philadelphia): Employer-to-employee reallocation
- 17.11. Guido Ascari (University of Oxford): Non-linearities, state-dependent prices and the transmission mechanism of monetary policy
- 1.12. Ludo Visschers (University of Edinburgh): Unemployment and Endogenous Reallocation over the Business Cycle
- 8.12. Anssi Kähkönen (UTU): R&D Incentives, Inventive Activity and Propensity to Patent: Empirical Evidence from Finland