TSE Economics Research Seminar
Autumn 2022 Schedule:
Economics research seminars are held every Tuesday at 4.00 pm - 5.00 pm. Seminar sessions are open to anyone interested!
- 20.9. UTU Timo Kuosmanen 'Misallocation of labor and capital in Finland’s business sector' - HYBRID (TSE LS09 & Zoom)
- 27.9. UTU Janne Tukiainen 'Personality traits and cognitive ability in political selection' - HYBRID (TSE LS09 & Zoom)
- 4.10. UTU Jeremias Nieminen 'Does the Presence of TV Cameras Affect Polarization in Parliamentary Speech?' - ZOOM
- 11.10. UTU Tolga Benzer 'The Mission and the Brotherhood: The Role of Colonial Christian Missionaries on Contemporary Politics in Egypt' - HYBRID (TSE LS09 & Zoom)
- 18.10. Aalto Erkki Vihriälä '(Not) Anticipating Predictable Inheritances' - HYBRID (TSE LS09 & Zoom)
- 25.10. Aalto Dai Sheng 'New development of overfitting reduction in convex regression' - HYBRID (TSE LS09 & Zoom)
- 1.11. University of Jyväskylä Konsta Lavaste 'Hospital choice and patient outcomes: Evidence from regional choice reform' - TBA
- ! Mon 7.11. UTU Hannu Salonen Läksiäisseminaari - IN-PERSON (TSE LS07)
- 15.11. TBA
- 22.11. University of Helsinki Matti Mitrunen TBA - HYBRID (TSE LS09 & Zoom)
- 29.11. Aalto Maarit Olkkola TBA - HYBRID (TSE LS09 & Zoom)
- 6.12. Independence Day - No seminar
- 13.12. Labore Ohto Kanninen TBA - ZOOM
- 20.12. UTU Tapio Haaga 'Effects of Nurse Visit Copayments: Does the Primary Care Use of the Poor Respond More?' - ZOOM
* The seminar list is being supplemented, changes are possible.
- 18.1. (2 - 3 pm EET) Mikko Silliman (Harvard University) 'Childcare, skills, and the labor market'
- 27.1. (9 - 10 am EET) Jingni Yang (Australian National University) 'Giving According To Agreement' (job talk)
- 27.1. (10 - 11 am EET) Tuomas Matikka (VATT) 'Discrete Labor Supply: Empirical Evidence and Implications' (job talk)
- 1.2. (3 - 4 pm EET) Tuomas Pekkarinen (VATT) 'Pre-college skills and wage differentials' (job talk)
- 1.2. (4 - 5 pm EET) Timo Kuosmanen (Aalto) 'Design Flaw of the Synthetic Control Method' (job talk)
- 8.2. Jussi Honkanen (UTU) 'Equilibrium effects of a firm entry subsidy program'
- 15.2. Sebastian Blesse (ZEW Mannheim) 'Does misinformation undermine policy competition? Survey evidence from German citizens and politicians'
- 22.2. Jeremias Nieminen (UTU) 'Evolution of intra-party polarization: Evidence from 110 years of parliamentary speech'
- 1.3. Lukas Laffers (Matej Bel University) 'Double machine learning for sample selection models'
- 8.3. Tuukka Saarimaa (Aalto) 'The Incidence of Housing Allowances: Quasi-Experimental Evidence'
- 15.3. Helena Svaleryd (Uppsala University) 'The impact of the COVID-19 school closure on adolescents’ use of mental healthcare services in Sweden'
- 22.3. Jere Jokinen (UTU) 'Belief in good luck and prior realisations in risk elicitation task' In person: TSE LS13
- 29.3. Aapo Stenhammar (Aalto) 'New Evidence on the Effect of Technology on Employment and Skill Demand'
- 5.4. Terhi Ravaska (VATT) 'Financial and non-financial work incentives of disability insurance recipients'
- 12.4. Antti Kauhanen (ETLA) 'Endogenous Career Mobility Within and Across Firms'
- 19.4. Tapio Haaga (UTU) 'Cost Sharing and Primary Care Use: An Age–based Regression Discontinuity Design' Hybrid: TSE LS06 & Zoom
- 26.4. Xiaogeng Xu (Hanken) 'Rank and individual welfare: the view from Finland'
- 3.5. Markku Siikanen (VATT) 'The Effects of Regulation on Pharmaceutical Prices and Expenditure'
- 10.5. Edvard Johansson (Åbo Akademi) 'Lost mind, lost job? Effect of mental health on being laid off during downsizings'
- 17.5. Juho Alasalmi (Konstanz) 'Optimal Contracts with (Self-)deceptive Effort reports'
- 24.5. Mikael Bask (Uppsala University) 'Skill, Status and the Matthew Effect' Hybrid: TSE LS13 & Zoom
- 31.5. Eetu Kauria (UTU) 'How municipal mergers affect different neighborhoods?'
- 14.9. Leonardo M. Giuffrida (ZEW Mannheim) 'Buyers’ Workload and R&D Procurement Outcomes: Evidence from the US Air Force Research Lab'
- 21.9. Wilma Nissilä (UTU) 'Predicting Business Cycle States by Cointegration'
- 28.9. Kim Ristolainen (UTU) 'A Thousand Words Tell More than just Numbers: Financial Crises and Historical Headlines'
- 5.10. Tolga Benzer (Aalto University) 'Removing Cultural Barriers to Education: State-run Islamic Schools and Female Education in Turkey'
- 12.10. Francesco Lippi (LUISS University) 'Empirical Investigation of a Sufficient Statistic for Monetary Shocks'
- 19.10. Ursina Schaede (University of Zurich) 'Quota vs Quality? Long term effects of a gender quota in Finland'
- 26.10. Salomo Hirvonen (UTU) 'Higher Quality Candidates Enjoying Larger Incumbency Advantage: Testing the Incumbency Advantage Heterogeneity by Differences in Partisan Support'
- 2.11. Esther Mbih (UTU/INVEST) 'Can a Website Bring Unemployment Down? Experimental Evidence from France'
- 9.11. Olli Lappalainen (UTU) 'Communication, Deliberation and Sustainability in an Asymmetric Common Pool Resource Game'
- 16.11. Heikki Kauppi (UTU) 'Estimating Optimal Binary Classification Rules: A Nonparametric Method for Nonmonotonic Density Ratios'
- 23.11. Matias Nunez (CREST) 'Voting by simultaneous vetoes'
- 30.11. Aarni Soppi (UTU) 'Price elasticity of demand for prescription drugs in the Finnish drug reimbursement system'- CANCELLED!
- 7.12. Konstantinos Matakos (King's College London) 'Living through a pandemic: How do economic and health concerns affect social capital and policy preferences'
- 14.12. Hector Bahamonde (UTU/INVEST) 'Parties and Voters At Risk: Vote Buying and Selling in the Lab, A Prospect Theory Approach'
- 12.1. Ville Vehkasalo (UTU) : Effects of face‑to‑face counselling on unemployment rate and duration
- 19.1. Jaakko Meriläinen (ITAM) : The Violent Origins of Finnish Equality
- 25.1. Elisabetta Leni (Essex) : Heterogeneity of Incentive Effects on Elicited Guilt Aversion
- 26.1. Essi Kujansuu (EUI) : Choice Architecture and Transparency
- 2.2. Francesco Zanetti (Oxford Uni.) : Dependence of Fiscal Multipliers: the Source of Fluctuations Matters
- 9.2. Janne Tukiainen (UTU) : Pre-Electoral Coalitions: Insights into the Creation of Political Parties
- 16.2. Kristiina Huttunen (VATT) : The Effect of Home Care Allowance on Child Outcomes
- 2.3. Riccardo Saulle (Uni. Padova) : Myopic Oligopoly Pricing
- 9.3. Martti Kaila (Uni. Helsinki) : The Crime Ladder: Estimating the Impact of Different Punishments on Defendant Outcomes
- 16.3. Matti Sarvimäki (Aalto Uni.) : The Making of Social Democracy: The Economic and Electoral Consequences of Norway’s 1936 Folk School Reform
- 23.3. Johannes Räsänen (UTU) : Labor Market Effects of Forced Displacement: Quasi-experimental evidence from internal migration in Ukraine
- 30.3. Anders Kock (Oxford Uni.) : Consistency of p-norm based tests in high-dimensions: characterization, monotonicity, domination
- 6.4. Arduino Tomasi (LSE) : Brains or Muscles? A Political Economy of Tax Evasion
- 13.4. Henri Salokangas (UTU) : Spillover Effects of Health Shocks: Evidence from Cancer Diagnoses
- 20.4. Mehmet Barlo (Sabanci University) : Implementation with Missing Data
- 27.4. Satu Metsälampi (UTU) : Causal study on the effects of relative income information – interim results from the pilot study
- 4.5. Erik Mäkelä (UTU) : Housing markets and capitalization of information: Case of land leases
- 11.5. Efrem Castelnuovo (Padova) : Sectoral Uncertainty
- 18.5. Juha Laine (Roche/UTU) : Features of price regulation and price setting of pharmaceuticals in Finland
- 25.5. Ritesh Jain (Academia Sinica) : A systematic test of the Independence Axiom near certainty
- 22.9. Joonas Uotinen (UTU): On the relativity, and ecological unsustainability of subjective well-being
- 29.9. Martin Ellison (University of Oxford): The Ends of 39 Big Recessions
- 6.10. Tanja Saxell (VATT): Information integration, coordination failures, and quality of prescribing
- 13.10. Oskari Vähämaa (Uni. Helsinki): Uncertainty, Misallocation and the Life-cycle Growth of Firms
- 20.10. Teemu Lyytikäinen (VATT): Tax Compliance in the Rental Housing Market: Evidence from a Field Experiment
- 27.10. Sander Ramboer (VATT): The Impact of Local Property Taxation on Firm Growth and Location: Evidence from Flanders
- 3.11. Markus Haavio (Suomen Pankki): Reading between the lines – Using text analysis to estimate the loss function of the ECB
- 10.11. Shigeru Fujita (FED Philadelphia): Employer-to-employee reallocation
- 17.11. Guido Ascari (University of Oxford): Non-linearities, state-dependent prices and the transmission mechanism of monetary policy
- 1.12. Ludo Visschers (University of Edinburgh): Unemployment and Endogenous Reallocation over the Business Cycle
- 8.12. Anssi Kähkönen (UTU): R&D Incentives, Inventive Activity and Propensity to Patent: Empirical Evidence from Finland