Areas of expertise
I am a registered nurse, with specialization in surgical-intensive nursing, in my basic education. I am master in educational sciences (MEd), and PhD in health sciences (nursing science). Since 1998, I have been a full professor in nursing science and since 2002, I am the Head of the Department of Nursing Science in the Faculty of Medicine. I also have many other scientific duties, both in my university, nationally and internationally.
Since 2002, I have had a subsidiary position of Nurse Director at the Turku University Hospital (Hospital District of Southwest Finland). This position allows me a close connection with nurses in practice and I belong to many groups developing research activities in University Hospital.
PhD-education is an important part of my work: I
am the Head of the Doctoral Programme in Nursing Science (DPNurs) in our
University, and I participate in the national doctoral network
in nursing science, including collaboration between all five universities in
Finland responsible for PhD-education in nursing science. Since many
years, I have participated in the PhD-teaching of European Academy of Nursing
Science EANS. We also have PhD summer schools in Baltic Sea Region
Network in Personalized Health Care and more globally (ICoNS),
which I am contributing.
I am a visiting professor (2016-2018) in the University of Dublin, Trinity College and have many international expertise duties. I am honorary doctor in the University of Klaipeda, Lithuania.
I am teaching both on masters and PhD-level in my university. On masters level, I am responsible for the teaching of philosophy of nursing and health care. On the PhD-level, I am teaching philosophy of science, different ethical courses, as well as courses in nursing education and research methods.
I have supervised about 60 graduated PhDs and
currently I have several PhD-students
under my supervision, mostly in collaboration with scientists from other
My research fields are concentrated in following topics, I have published more than 400 scientific publications, have international and multidisciplinary collaboration and have been involved in many EU-funded consortiums:
• Value basis and ethics in health care and nursing. In this field, I have a special interest in clinical empirical ethics, including ethics of administration and health care organisations. I have collaboration with professor Riitta Suhonen in the area of individualized care and currently I am a member of COST RANCARE network, coordinated by Dr Evridiki Papastavrou, Cyprus University of Technology.
• Empowering patient education. In this field, I have special interest in clinical fields, like orthopedic nursing and care of cancer patients. I have developed and used in collaboration with the research team instruments and programmes for patient education, also in international collaboration. In this, I have collaboration with professor Sanna Salanterä.
• Competence of nurses and nursing students. In this field, I have a special interest in the evaluation and measurement of competence, and I have been involved in the development of competence instruments in collaboration with other researchers. I have collaboration with docent Riitta Meretoja in the development and use of Nurse Competence Scale.
• Outcomes of nursing and health care education. In this field, I have special interest in evaluation of learning outcomes of nursing and health care education, as well as work of teachers. I have collaboration with docent Mikko Saarikoski in the development and of Clinical Learning Environment Scale (CLES).
• Currently, based on funding from the Academy of Finland, I am a PI in a new international research project in the competence of nurses (PROCOMPnurse). I am also collaborating in the Erasmus+ program Nurse Leadership, for developing PhD and post doc education (PI Professor Thora Halfsteindottir, University of Iceland).