Language requirements for admission / Right to study for a doctoral degree
Applicants must have good English language skills and a certificate that proves those skills.
The University follows the manners of verifying language skills which are defined in the Rector’s decision.
Language skills can be indicated by taking one of the internationally recognized English language tests listed on this page. When taking the test the applicant should choose University of Turku as a recipient of the results where possible. The applicant must also attach a scanned copy of the test result to the application for verification purposes.
The test result must be available by the end of the application period and it must be available for online verification at the latest 14 days after the end of the application period.
Applicants must reach the minimum required test results to be considered eligible to the University of Turku. No exceptions will be made.
TOEFL (IBT) – Test of English as a Foreign Language with
- a minimum overall score of 90 and the writing test score 20 or more on the internet-based test (IBT).
- University of Turku code 9701.
- More information about the TOEFL test
- Locate a test site
- MyBest scores are accepted, if the test results are verifiable from the online verification service of the organiser. The TOEFL test cannot be verified after two years.
- The TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition will be accepted during the Autumn 2020 admission round and the first admission round of 2021 (1.-19.3.2021).
IELTS – International English Language Testing Service test (Academic) with an overall band score of 6.5 and the writing test score 6.0 or more.
- The IELTS Indicator test will be accepted during the Autumn 2020 admission round and the first admission round of 2021 (1.-19.3.2021).
- More information about the IELTS test
- Locate a test site
C2 Proficiency (previously CPE) – Cambridge English Qualifications with pass grade "C" or higher.
C1 Advanced (previously CAE) – Cambridge English Qualifications with pass grade "C" or higher.
PTE – Academic test with a minimum overall score of 62 and the writing test score 54 or more
YKI – National certificate for language proficiency in English with a minimum score of 4 in the intermediate level test
Some test organisers give an expiration date on the tests, the University of Turku does not set any expiration dates, but the language test results must be verifiable from the online verification service of the organiser. The TOEFL test cannot be verified after two years. If the test scores can no longer be verified, the test is not valid and the applicant is advised to retake the test.
Applicants are exempt from doing an English language test if they hold one of the following.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) or an equivalent degree completed in English in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States, Switzerland or in an EU/EEA country.
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) or an equivalent degree completed in a university or university of applied sciences in Finland.
- Secondary education completed in English in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, or the United States.
- Secondary education completed in Finland.
The language of instruction of the degree must be proven with the degree certificate, transcript of records or Diploma Supplement.
If the degree you use to prove your language skills is different from the one used as a basis for eligibility for the programme, the degree must be earned by the time of application.
No other degrees or statements of language proficiency will be accepted.