The University of Turku Graduate School (UTUGS) consists of doctoral programmes which cover all doctoral candidates and disciplines of the University. The UTU doctoral candidate status is applied for via the UTUGS doctoral programmes.
You can apply for:
a) the right to pursue a doctoral degree at the University of Turku (each call)
b) an UTUGS funded doctoral training position (call organised once a year in the autumn)
There are two calls for applications each year. The application periods during the academic year 2021-2022 are
30.8.- 17.9.2021 (study right begins 1.1.2022 + UTUGS funded positions 1.1.2022-31.12.2025)
1.3. – 18.3.2022 (study right begins 1.8.2022)
Each doctoral programme has their own application instructions and required application documents, so please get acquainted with the websites of the doctoral programmes and faculties. The calls for applications are published on the websites of the programmes by 24 June at the latest.
- Doctoral Programme in Biology, Geography and Geology (BGG)
- Doctoral Programme in Clinical Research (DPCR)
- Doctoral Programme on Educational Policy, Lifelong Learning and Comparative Education Research (KEVEKO)
- Doctoral Programme in Exact Sciences (EXACTUS)
- Doctoral Programme in History, Culture and Arts Studies (Juno)
- Doctoral programme on Inequalities, Interventions and New Welfare State
- Doctoral Programme in Languages and Translation Studies (Utuling)
- Doctoral Programme in Law
- Doctoral Programme on Learning, Teaching and Learning Environments Research (OPPI)
- Doctoral Programme in Nursing Science (DPNurs)
- Doctoral Programme of Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Doctoral Programme in Technology (DPT)
- Doctoral Programme of Turku School of Economics
- Drug Research Doctoral Programme (DRDP)
- Finnish Doctoral Program in Oral Sciences (FINDOS Turku)
- Turku Doctoral Programme of Molecular Medicine (TuDMM)
The right to study for a doctoral degree and in the autumn the UTUGS-funded doctoral candidate positions are applied for by filling in an application form in the electronic application system and submitting the required application documents by the end of the application period. The calls are organised simultaneously in all UTUGS doctoral programmes. The links for the calls for applications can then be found on the call for application -page: https://www.utu.fi/en/research/utugs/how-to-apply/call-for-applications (only during application periods).
The decisions on granting the right to pursue a doctoral degree at the University of Turku as well as the decisions on employing the doctoral candidate on an UTUGS funded doctoral training position are made by the faculties based on the doctoral programmes' proposals. After receiving the faculty's decision, the doctoral candidate has the right to pursue a doctoral degree at one of the University's faculties, and they become affiliated to the respective doctoral programme as well as UTUGS. The contact persons at the faculties also provide more information.