Åbo Akademi University (ÅAU) is a university that provides higher education mainly in Swedish. They offer a good range of courses in English and as an exchange student of UTU you can carry out up to half of your exchange studies at ÅAU.
How to apply for studies held at ÅAU?
1. Before the semester starts (during the application process)
- Check the available courses at ÅAU's website.
- Add the courses to the proposed study plan in SoleMove and to your Learning Agreement. NB! Courses of Business or languages are not available for UTU exchange students.
- The courses will be endorsed conditionally and you can then apply to them when you arrive in Turku.
2. During the semester
- Send an application online in the Joopas Service.
- Choose Enroll to Network courses, select Exchange studies in Turku and choose your home university (University of Turku).
- Sign in with your UTU user account and choose New application on the right-hand side.
- Fill in the form and note that you have to click save after each section!
- Fill in Applicant information. You can choose either Tuntematon – Okänd – Unknown or Ulkomaat – Utlandet – Foreign Countries as your municipality. The Finnish personal identification number (= Finnish ID Code) field is not mandatory for exchange students, but you can give your ID code if you already have it.
- Fill in Study information - Answer the questions based on the situation with your studies back home.
- Fill in Course application - choose Åbo Akademi under University that organises the course applied for. Specify the name of the course, course code and ECTS credits. You must add a new field for all courses you want to apply for.
- Attachments - add your Transcript of Records from your home university.
- Send the application by clicking Confirm sending the application.
Your application may have to wait to be processed. You will receive e-mails about the status of your application. You may monitor the status in the Joopas service. If a study right is granted to you for the courses you applied for, ÅAU will send you further instructions. In order for you to be accepted, you must fulfill the prerequisites of the courses and there must be available places on the courses.
NB! Courses completed at ÅAU are not transferred automatically into UTU's study register Nettiopsu. If you wish to have all your courses on the same transcript, you must use the Puro credit transfer system to transfer your credits from ÅAU to UTU.