Residence Permit and Health Care

Residence permit

Non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are not an EU/EEA citizen you must obtain a residence permit from the nearest Finnish embassy or consulate in your home country. 

  • You can apply electronically online but a visit to the embassy/consulate is needed for the biometrical identification. 
  • You must obtain residence permit before you arrive in Finland. 
  • You need to have valid health insurance.
  • You also need to be able to prove that you have necessary funding (560 €/month). 
  • Remember also to check if you need a visa to enter the Schengen area.
  • See Finnish Immigration Service's website for detailed instructions.
Note! Doctoral students need to apply for a residence permit for scientific research
EU/EEA citizens

EU/EEA citizens do not need a residence permit to Finland.

Registration as a foreigner and Finnish ID code

International students staying longer than three months in Finland must obtain a Finnish personal Identity Code. It is needed for e.g. opening a bank account, activating your electronic student card and for university database and statistical purposes. The code consists of your date of birth and five other characters, so it looks something like this: 010195-1234.

  • If you need a residence permit you can apply for the code when you apply also for the permit. Even so you need to visit the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV) in order to register as a foreigner in Finland.
  • If you don't have the code when you arrive to Turku you need to visit the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV) to get it.
  • DVV usually has a pop up service point at campus in the beginning of each semester (September and January) where you can register as a foreigner and apply for the code.

When you have the code, remember to scan the residence permit card or decision paper you received from DVV to disco(at) Otherwise your Identity Number won't be in the university database and e.g. electronic student card app will not work. If you apply for the code at campus we get the code automatically from the DVV.

More detailed instructions are sent to students upon their arrival to Turku.

Health care and insurance

Health insurance

All students are recommended to have a valid health insurance during their studies in Turku. Only with proper health insurance can all the costs be covered if you become ill during you stay in Finland.

  • Getting a residence permit requires a valid health insurance. Please check the requirements at Finnish Immigration Service's website.
  • European health insurance card entitles EU/EEA citizens to the same municipal health care at the same prices as Finnish citizens.
  • International office highly recommends that exchange students get a health insurance that covers their stay in Finland.
Student health care

Student health care is available to exchange and master degree students who are members of the Student Union. NB! only accessible until the end of year 2020. Doctoral students are not entitled to use the services of Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS).

  • FSHS offers services of general health, oral health and mental health.
  • Services are either free of charge or at low cost.
  • FSHS is open on weekdays, during the daytime. 
  • Thus, Student Union membership does not cover any emergency or hospital treatment or treatment during evenings or weekends when the FSHS health centre is closed.


Insurance of the exchange students

Please check the previous information concerning the health insurance.

In case of accident at UTU you are not insured by UTU. Please check beforehand from your home university if its insurance will cover you also during your exchange. If not you should have some kind of insurance by yourself. In most cases the health insurance is ok.

Especially the students of Medicine, Dentistry, those doing the lab work at Faculty of Science and Engineering/ Medicine or participating the practicals at Faculty of Education please notice this when preparing your exchange.