Language requirements for Master's Degree Programmes
Applicants must have excellent English language skills and a certificate that proves those skills.
Language skills can be indicated by taking one of the internationally recognized English language tests listed on this page. When taking the test the applicant should choose University of Turku as a recipient of your results where possible. The applicant must also attach a scanned copy of the test result to the application for verification purposes.
The test result must be available by the end of the application period and it must be available for online verification at the latest 14 days after the end of the application period.
Applicants must reach the minimum required test results to be considered eligible to the University of Turku. No exceptions will be made.
Some test organisers give an expiration date on the tests, the University of Turku does not set any expiration dates, but the language test results must be verifiable from the online verification service of the organiser.
- The TOEFL test cannot be verified after two years.
- If the test scores can no longer be verified, the test is not valid and the applicant is advised to retake the test.
TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language with
- a minimum overall score of 90 and the writing test score 20 or more on the internet-based test (IBT).
- University of Turku code 9701.
- The TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition will be accepted during the admission round of 2021.
- More information about the TOEFL test
- Locate a test site
IELTS – International English Language Testing Service test (Academic).
- an overall band score of 6.5 and the writing test score 6.0. or more.
- More information about the IELTS test
- Locate a test site
C2 Proficiency (previously CPE) – Cambridge English Qualifications with pass grade A, B or C.
C1 Advanced (previously CAE) – Cambridge English Qualifications with pass grade A, B or C.
PTE – Academic test with a minimum overall score of 62 and the writing test score 54 or more
YKI – Finnish certificate for language proficiency in English with a minimum score of 4 in the intermediate level test
Applicants are exempt from doing an English language test if they hold one of the following.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) or an equivalent degree in an English-language programme in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States or in an EU/EEA country.
- Bachelor's (or higher) degree from a university or university of applied sciences in Finland, if the applicant has demonstrated language skills in the English language according to the requirements concerning foreign language studies in Bachelor's and applied university degrees in Finland ( Valtioneuvoston asetus 1039/2013).
- Secondary education in English in Australia, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, or the United States.
- Finnish matriculation examination in English language, minimum grade of magna cum laude approbatur (or a corresponding minimum English language grade of 5 from the International Baccalaureate degree, grade 7.00 from the European Baccalaureate degree or grade 8 from the Reifeprüfung degree).
The language of instruction of the degree must be proven with the degree certificate, transcript of records or Diploma Supplement. Please note that your degree/programme must be taught and assessed entirely in English.
Online studies or studies completed on offshore campuses outside the accepted countries/area cannot be used to indicate language skills, even if the degree-awarding institution is located in one of the accepted countries.
If the degree you use to prove your language skills is different from the one used as a basis for eligibility for the programme, the degree must be earned by the time of application.
No other degrees or statements of language proficiency will be accepted.