Registration for New Master Degree Students

Bachelor's and Master's degrees at the University of Turku are concidered as undergraduate degrees. Student Union membership is compulsory for all undergratuadte students who will register as attending students (Universities Act 558/2009, 46§).

Registration with the University is done annually and the registration is valid for the whole academic year. New academic year begins in 1 Aug. You can register as attending (present) or non-attending (absent).

You can register after you have accepted the study place in Studyinfo.

  • Registration period is annually 1 June - 31 August.
  • Registration period for the Spring Semester only is 1 December - 15 January.
  • Please read also General instructions for registration.

As soon as your study right is in order you will get an email about what to do next.

Registration instructions

Registration as an attending students (present)

Registering as attending is done by paying the Student Union membership fee (EUR 110,00 for the Academic Year 2019-2020).

If you have to pay tuition fees, the payment must be done first. In that case, please send the receipt of the payment to us (admissions[at] so we can activate your right to register in Studyinfo.

There are two options:

  • Go to using the link you have received and used for accepting the study place. Follow the registration/payment instructions.
  • If you can’t pay the Student Union fee in Studyinfo, please let us know (admissions[at] We can also give you details for the bank transfer.
Registration as a non-attending students (absent)

This is an option for you if you can’t start your studies yet due to one of the following reasons.

According to the Universities Act/Polytechnics Act, a first-year student may register as absent (non-attending) for the academic year for special reasons only:

  • legislative reasons and required documents are mentoined below

Registration as non-attending requires both the registration and the needed documets

  • You can register as non-attending in Studyinfo or by email (disco[at]
  • In both cases you need to send the appropriate documents as well.
  • Registration is valid when the appropriate documents have arrived to the  Student Centre Disco and have been approved. Only after that it is possible to receive a certificate of registration with the University of Turku.

Please note

  • If you already have a right to study at the University of Turku and you have now been granted a new study right, you can register as non-attending only if you have legal grounds for your absence.
  • Should the legal grounds for your absence apply only to the second academic term (e.g. military service or maternity leave beginning in January), you may register as absent for the entire academic year if you wish.
  • You may also change the status of your registration for the spring term from ‘attending’ to ‘non-attending’ during the spring term registration period, if you have legal grounds  and you do not have any credits or degree in Spring Semester already.
Documents that prove the legal grounds for your absence

According to the Universities/Polytechnics Act, a first-year student may register as absent (non-attending) for the academic year for special reasons only:

1. Service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995):

  • Call-up order

2. Maternity, paternity or parental leave:

  • Kela's certificate regarding maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy.
  • Corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave.

3. The student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury:

  • Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate. The medical certificate must state which illness or injury the student suffers from, and that this condition prevents the student from beginning their studies.
  • Obstacles caused by the practical arrangements required by the illness or injury: an adequate clarification, e.g. a certificate from the student housing foundation that the student is on the waiting list for an apartment required by his or her injury.
  • The student's own notification is not an adequate clarification.

Submitting the documents

  • The documents must be submitted in Finnish, Swedish or English.
  • Documents may be delivered by email, post or direct to the Student Centre Disco.
  • Documents must be supplied by as soos as possible but a week after the end on registration period at the latest, at which time documents delivered be post must be also delivered. If the deadline is one weekend, documents should be delivered by next Monday
  • If you fail to deliver sufficient clarification regarding the grounds for your absence within the deadline, you will lose your right to study. If you wish to begin your studies at a later time, you must apply for readmission from the university. Readmission does not require participation in the student admissions procedure.

Previous Degrees at other University or Academy

Previous degree at other University or Academy will be entered into the Study Register for students who have been accepted to Master-level or PhD-level degree. This information is entered into Study Register by October and can be seen in Nettiopsu right after that. Previous degree is also printed in transcript of study records.

Do you have a study right at the University from previous years?

If you have had already a study right at the University of Turku your student number will remain the same. You can check your status of registration at Nettiopsu. If you have accepted a new study right, but not yet registered with the University, remember to register with the University in time.