Registration with the University
All students need to register with the University of Turku each academic year as an attending (present) or non-attending (absent) student. You to need be registered as an attending student to get a degree or to get credits entered into Nettiopsu.
- The academic year begins on 1 August and ends on 31 July
- The autumn semester begins on 1 August and ends on 31 December
- The spring semester begins on 1 Jan and ends on 31 July.
This section includes instructions and documents concerning general registration with the University of Turku. You can find more information below.
If you are not able to find the information you need, you can ask more information at Student Centre Disco.
- Registration period for degree students is 1 June - 31 Aug. All Bachelor's, Master's and PhD level student need to register with the University of Turku annually.
- Registration period for the spring semester is 1 Dec - 15 Jan. This concerns only students who have first registered with the University only for autumn semester and who register separately for the spring semester.
- You can't register before the registration period begins. It is not possible to make the registration retroactively either.
Students with tuition fee
- Students who need to pay the tuition fee, must firts pay the fee, and only after that registeri with the University of Turku.
Double degree programmes
- Students who are doing their degree in Double Degree Programs are attending students for the whole study time, but they pay the Student Union membership fee only when studies are completed in Turku.
Do you have several study rights at the University of Turku?
- If you have a current study right for a degree at the University of Turku, you need to register with instructions for degree students.
- You have to apply a permission to re-register if either you register after the registration period or considerable time has elapsed since last registration.
- Registration period for spring semester is concerning students who have first registered with the University only for autumn semester (t.ex. due to demarcation of study right) and registers separately for spring semester. If the student misses the registration period for spring semester he/she needs to re-register as mentioned in these instructions.
- Demarcation of study right and passiveregister may effect your registration. You may need to contact the Faculty to activate your study right before you'll be able to register with the University.
- To get the permission and instructions to re-register to the university please contact Student Centre Disco for re-registration by e-mail disco(at)utu.fi. The affair is not possible to be setteled by phone. Emails are handled in rotation.
- There is a re-registration fee of €35 which will be charged before registration (decree of the Ministry of Education 1082/2009).
- The re-registration fee is paid in UTUshop (University of Turku webshop) and you will get instructions how to pay it from Student Centre Disco.
- Student Union membership fee is paid to different account. The account number is also given to you in your personal instructions from Student Centre Disco.
You may register yourself as an attending or non-attending student.
- You need to be registered as an attending student to get a degree or to get credits entered into Nettiopsu.
- Only attending students can register for courses or exams in Nettiopsu.
- It is not possible to get a degree or to get credits entered into Nettiopsu.
- Utu-username is active and student can use for example the utu e-mail account.
- There are special rules for new bachelor's/master's/PhD degree students to register as non-attending.
Status of registration has an influence on your study time
- Bachelor's and Master's Degree students whose study right begun 1.8.2005 or after must be aware of the demarcation of study time. The status of registration is taken on the last day of each semester.
Change of status from non-attending to attending
- You can change your status from non-attending to attending at any time during the academic year.
- There is no re-registration fee when changing the registration status.
- It is possible to change status from non-attending to attending yourself in Nettiopsu during the registration period. In other case please contact the Student Centre Disco.
Change of status from attending to non-attending
- If you want to change attendance to non-attendance, it is possible only during registration period and only if you have not received any credits or university degree during that semester.
- To change the status please contact the Student Centre Disco.
Student union membership
- Student Union membership is compulsory for undergraduate students and voluntary for exchange and PhD students (Universities Act 558/2009, 46§).
- Students in Double degree programmes need to join the Student Union when studying in Turku.
- Other students are not eligible to join the Student Union. Therefore students in non-degree or specialisation studies are not allowed to join the Student Union.
The Student Union fee incudes the fee for health care at Finnish Student Health Service, FSHS (Ylioppilaiden terveydenhoitosäätiö YTHS)
- You don't have to pay the FSHS-fee twice. If you have registered as attending student in two Finnish universities, first pay the whole fee to both universities.
- After that you can apply the refund from the university you paid the last payment to.
Student card is a sign of your membership in Student Union.
- After paying the Student Union fee, you can order your student card at Frank's website
- Since 2016 there has been Frank mobile app that can be downloaded on Android and iOS phones.
- Please read more information on student benefits and Student card in Student Union website.
Refunding the membership or FSHS fee
If you have paid the Student Union membership fee and change your registration status according to the registration instructions you are allowed to get a refund from the fee. You can also get a refund from FSHS payment if you have paid it in two universities.
- Of autumn semester or whole academic year
- inform the student centre Disco within the registration period, by 31 August
- contact the Student Union by 30 September
- Of spring semester
- inform the student centre Disco within the registration period, by 15 January
- contact the Student Union by 28 February
If these days are on weekend, then the due date is the next working day. Same due dates are valid for students who want to receive only the Health Care fee (FSHS).
How to get the refund?
- Contact the Student Centre Disco to receive a form for the Student Union. Then you have to contact the Student Union for refund.
- For the Student Union you'll need to have the receipt of your payment.
If you have registered with the University of Turku, you will receive a personal user account to use computers, email, data systems and other IT resources at the University.
Activating the Account
- The account may be activated at any helpdesk of IT Services. The main office of IT Services is located at Educarium (Assistentinkatu 5).
- If you have a Finnish ID number and banking credentials, the account can also be activated online. Instructions for this are found at the website of IT Services .
Registering as attending or non-attending keeps the account active.
- You need to also have a valid study right at the Univeristy of Turku.
For how long is the account valid?
- After the last registration semester, the user account is valid until 1 October (last registration: spring semester) or 31 January (last registration: autumn semester)
Importance of the User Account
Please read more information on rules of the IT Services
Please inform the University of changes in your contact information
- Address and place of domicile may be updated in Nettiopsu.
- Your contact information has been transferred from your application. Please inform the Student Centre Disco of any changes.
Changes in name or Finnish ID
- Please inform the Student Centre Disco if you have received a Finnish identity number or Finnish citizenship.
- Please inform the Student Centre Disco also if your name or Finnish ID has changed.
- We'll check your information in Finnish Population Information System and enter your personal information in same form to University's Register.
- After the changes the IT Services at UTU can make changes to your UTU account. Please inform IT services helpdesk(at)utu.fi if necessary.
Use of your personal data within and outside University
- Within the University your personal data is automatically transferred to the University library and to the IT Services (for user account).
University may release student’s contact information to certain purposes outside University:
- This information is not used for commercial or marketing purposes.
- Your name and contact information may be used from the student register system for certain kinds of research related to studies.
- You may permit or deny entities outside the university to use your personal information for e.g. questionnaires and opinion polls related to studies (e.g. the Student Union, professional organisations). The permission to use a new student's personal data is given on an application form where the information is transferred to the study register. You can make changes on the status of the release of this information in Nettiopsu or by informing the Student Centre Disco by e-mail.
Please read also Privacy Notice of Processing Personal Data of Students in Education.