Turku Doctoral Programme of Molecular Medicine - Admission Criteria and Instructions for Applicants
The TuDMM offers diverse and high-standard doctoral training in the broad field of molecular medicine.
The traditionally strong research areas of bio- and clinical medicine at the Turku Campus, such as cancer research, endocrinology and metabolism, immunology, microbiology, and connective tissue research, are all represented among the research groups affiliated to our Programme.
TuDMM works together with the other local doctoral programmes operating in biosciences and will also participate in the national networks of doctoral programmes in the area of life sciences.
The next application period is 1-18 September 2020. The right to study for a doctoral degree will start on 1 January 2021.
TuDMM call for UTUGS applications (pdf)
Instructions for the applicants
Please read carefully the guidelines for applying
Prepare also the documents mentioned in the call for applications of the Doctoral Programme of Molecular Medicine.
- Check the application period
- Read the instructions of the faculty in question and the doctoral programme carefully!
- If you are going to verify your language skills with a language test, make sure that you book your test time well in advance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make his/her own language test arrangements
- Get the required signatures in time and prepare the appendices
- Fill in the electric application form
- Remember to apply in time
- Keep your original certificates at hand and prepare to acquire officially certified copies if needed!
A detailed call for applications will be published before the next call on this www-page. The application for the right to study and/or funded doctoral training position consists of an electronic form and attached PDF files including all required material according to the instructions.
Link to the electronic application form, the list of required attachments and the guide for filling in the form will be available during the application period.
Qualified applicant with research topic fitting the scope of TuDMM can apply. The motivation to apply to TuDMM is presented in the Motivation letter. The applicant should have 1-2 supervisors with at least one supervisor affiliated with University of Turku and holding the UTU -account (UGIS-supervisor) to use the UGIS system. One member in the follow-up committee should be well familiar with the practicalities of doctoral training in the faculty and TuDMM. To plan the theoretical studies, take into account the Learning outcomes of TuDMM and your career plans.
The application should contain
1) electronic application form TuDMM ID number is XXXX (link will be open from September 1st, 2020 to September 18th, 2020 23:59)
2) Pdf files
The application should include the following:
1. Motivation letter (Max 1 page)
2. CV of the applicant (it is mandatory to use this attached CV model)
3. Research plan (max 3 pages, Arial, font 12). The plan should consist of: abstract, background, aims and hypotheses, significance, how will the plan be carried out in practice, research environment, timetable and funding plan.
By attaching the research plan to the application form th eapplicant gives permission for checking the research plan with Turnitin Originality Check (system for electrical plagiarism detection).
4. The postgraduate study plan - Use this template. Mark to the plan the studies you have already taken.
If you are applying for the right to study for a doctoral degree, attach also:
5. Supervision plan – the Faculty’s form (Fill in electronically, print and sign together with the supervisor/-s and the head of subject)
See: Subjects in doctoral training and heads of doctoral subject (pdf)
6. A university degree certificate, if applicant has attained the higher university degree somewhere else than in the University of Turku and in addition, a transcript of studies if the degree has been completed outside Finland.
- If needed - please see the instructions: Degree giving the eligibility
Those applicants who have been granted the right to study and who have completed their studies at a University abroad have to submit officially certified copies of the degree certificates, other educational documents and the official translations of the documents to the University of Turku according to the instructions given in the admission notification. If the admitted applicant does not submit the degree documents in time as indicated in the admission notification, they shall forfeit the study place.
7. If applicant has to pass a language test, the copy of the language test result must be attached to the application
- If needed - please see the instructions: Language proficiency
The steering committee of the TuDMM will process and evaluate the applications. Research proposals may be checked by using Turnitin Originality Check (system for electrical plagiarism detection) before the selection.
The Dean of Faculty of Medicine decides on granting the right to study for a doctoral degree, based on the proposals of the steering committee of the Doctoral Programmes. All applicants will be personally informed on the decisions. The right to study for a doctoral degree begins August 1, 2020.
All applicants will be personally informed about the decisions.
An admitted applicant has to notify University of Turku of his/her acceptance of the study place by the 15 June 2020 at 15.00 (GMT +3) according to the instructions given in the admission notification. If the admitted applicant does not give the notification in the time indicated, he/she shall forfeit the study place.
A person admitted to more than one university or polytechnic degree has to notify only the degree in which he/she accepts the study place. Notification is binding, it is not possible to cancel or change it later.
According to Finnish legislation, student may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland during one academic term (autumn term 1.8.-31.12. or spring term 1.1.-31.7). This rule applies to all higher education. Higher education degrees included in the rule are Bachelor degrees and Master degrees awarded by Finnish universities of applied sciences, Bachelor degrees and Master degrees awarded by Finnish universities and Licentiate and Doctoral degrees awarded by Finnish universities. Only exemptions are Transfer student selections, the Åland Polytechnic and the Police College of Finland.
Those applicants who have been granted a right to study and who have completed their prior degree abroad have to submit either the original degree certificates or certified copies of the degree certificates and other educational documents and the official translations of the documents to the University of Turku as instructed in the admission notification. If the admitted applicant does not deliver the required certificates by the deadline set in the admission notification, he/she forfeits the study right. Instructions on delivering certificates and country-specific requirements are available here: https://www.utu.fi/en/study-at-utu/accepted-students/original-documents
Appeal for rectification
If an applicant is dissatisfied with the result of the student selection, he/she has the right to submit an application for the rectification of the decision to the Faculty of Medicine within 14 days of the official publishing of the results.
Chief Academic Officer Outi Irjala
Coordinator Eeva Valve
UTUGS decision: TuDMM fixed-term doctoral candidate positions 2020-2023