The Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021 published by the Shanghai Ranking ranked altogether 4,000 universities in 54 subjects. Of these, 1,800 universities received a ranking. The University of Turku was ranked in altogether 21 subjects.
The Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021 took into consideration the quality of research, international collaboration, top research, and esteemed academic recognitions. Altogether 54 subjects in natural sciences, engineering, life sciences, medicine, and social sciences were evaluated.
The University of Turku was listed among the best universities in altogether 21 of the 54 subjects.
– This success in several subjects clearly shows the significance and quality of the University's diversity and multidisciplinarity. Being ranked in this international ranking is important as it increases and expands our attractiveness among international partners, estimates Rector Jukka Kola.
The University of Turku managed to improve its ranking in seven subjects. A new subject in the ranking among the best 500 in the world was economic sciences. The subjects with best rankings were also at the top in Finland last year.
– The uniform quality of our top research is reflected in the results. I wish to thank our research groups and researchers for their persistent work, says Kola.
Examples from Rankings of the University of Turku:
- The University of Turku was the best Finnish university in nursing science, where the overall ranking was 35th.
- The University of Turku tied for the best ranking in Finland in medical technology (ranking 151–200).
- The University was the second best among Finnish universities in Dentistry, where the world ranking was 48th.
- The University was also the second best in Finland in ecology (101–150), and in food science and technology (151–200).
All the rankings of the University of Turku (ranking among Finnish universities in brackets):
- Food Science & Technology 151–200 (2)
- Biotechnology 201–300 (2–3)
- Natural Sciences:
- Mathematics 301–300 (4)
- Geography 201–300 (2–4)
- Ecology 101–150 (2)
- Biological Sciences 151–200 (2–5)
- Human Biological Sciences 201–300 (2–4)
- Agricultural Sciences 201–300 (2–3)
- Clinical Medicine 301–400 (3–5)
- Public Health 201–300 (3–5)
- Dentistry & Oral Sciences 48 (2)
- Nursing 35 (1)
- Medical Technology 101–150 (1–2)
- Pharmacology & Pharmacological Sciences 151–200 (3)
- Economics 401–500 (3–5)
- Political Sciences 201–300 (1–4)
- Education 101–150 (4–5)
- Communication 101–150 (2–4)
- Psychology 201–300 (2–3)
- Business Administration 201–300 (3–4)
- Management 401–500 (4–6)
The ranking has been published by the ShanghaiRanking Consultancy since 2009.