How and when to apply
Do you want to apply for an International Degree Programme at the University of Turku? Here you will find a guide for the application process and learn the important dates for the 2020 intake.
There is one intake per year and the studies start the following August. The application form will be available in the Studyinfo.fi portal only during the application period from 8, January until 22, January 2020 at 3:00 p.m. (GMT+2). It is not possible to apply outside the application period.
(Please observe, that the Master´s Degree Programme in Software Engineering has different application periods, 15.9-15.11.2019 and 7.1-15.5.2020).
In the same application form, you can also apply for the tuition fee scholarship, in case you would be liable to pay the tuition fee if admitted.
ADMISSION TIMETABLE AND IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE 2020 INTAKE
Who can apply
You are an eligible applicant for Master-level studies if
- you have a nationally recognized first cycle degree – normally a Bachelor’s degree – from an accredited institution of higher education,
- your degree corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study,
- your degree is in a relevant field for the Master’s degree programme that you’re applying to. Please check the programme page for detailed degree requirements.
You are an eligible applicant for Bachelor-level studies if you hold an upper secondary education certificate:
- the Finnish matriculation examination
- the International Baccalaureate, the European Baccalaureate, Reifeprüfung/Die Deutsche Internationale Abiturprüfung
- any other comparable upper secondary educational qualification which provides eligibility to University-level Bachelor’s studies in the country in question
If you are graduating after the application deadline, you may still apply.
- Your possible admittance is conditional until you submit a proof of your graduation to the University of Turku.
- The proof of graduation has to arrive at the University of Turku by 10 July 2020 at 15:00 (local time in Finland).
If you apply to Master's degree you must attach your most recent transcript of records to the application form during the application period.
If you apply to Bachelor's degree you must attach a statement from your home institution stating the expected date of graduation to the application form during the application period.
How to apply
- Find the right study option for you, you can check the full list of International Degree Programmes here.
- Check the admission criteria of the programme(s) you wish to apply to and make sure you are eligible.
- Take an international language test to prove your English skills (if needed) well in advance.
- Make sure you have the required educational documents available before you apply.
See also “Language requirements” and "Required documents" sections on this page.
The application form is only available during the application period (8 - 22 January 2020, 3:00 p.m. GMT+2).
- You can find a link to the application form on the page of the programme you wish to apply to. The application is done at www.studyinfo.fi
- Fill in the application. You can apply up to six (6) programmes included in the joint application. You can apply to maximum three (3) programmes at the University of Turku during one application period. You can apply for both the study place and scholarship at the same time.
- Upload your scanned documents to the form. If you have completed your degree in an institution that only submits official transcripts of records electronically (e-transcripts), please see electronic transcripts.
- Check that you have filled in everything correctly and send the form online.
- After you have submitted your application you will get a confirmation email that your application has been received.
- You do not have to send any documents in paper or by email.
Please note! Your application must be submitted to the electronic system by the application deadline. All of the relevant enclosures must be attached to the application form within one week of the application deadline. Also the language test must be taken by the deadline and the results be availabe for verification at the latest within one week. Therefore do not leave your application to the last day!
After you’ve submitted your application and documents the University of Turku will verify your language skills and educational documents. The programmes will perform an academic assessment and carry out the student selections.
The results are published 27, March 2020. All applicants will be notified about the decision by email. If you are admitted you will receive the admission offer and possible scholarship letter by email.
A student may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland in education that begins in the same academic term.
If you have been admitted, you´ll receive your admission letter. Accept the study place and possible scholarship by the date and time given in the admission letter. The final deadline for accepting the study place is 10, July 2020. More information for admitted students here!
Applicants must have excellent English language skills and a certificate that proves those skills. Read more on the links below.
Required educational documents
A degree certificate is a document issued by an institution to a student who has successfully completed all studies included in the degree. The student has graduated. The degree certificate should include the name of the institution awarding the degree, the date of issue, and the name of the person to whom the degree certificate has been issued and which title/degree the person has been awarded.
The University of Turku requires the original degree certificate (in the original language) AND an English, Finnish or Swedish translation (or an English-language Diploma Supplement concerning graduates from European universities) of the degree certificate.
The official transcript of records should include the following information:
- full titles of the units that the student has completed for the degree
- completion times of study units (or at the very least the overall study time at the institution)
- grades obtained
- credits awarded
- information on the grading scale used at the institution at the time of study
- If you have not yet graduated: The transcript of records must include the name of the degree that will be awarded to you when you graduate (Bachelor of, Master of, etc.
The transcript must cover the full length of studies. If the degree includes course units that the student has completed at another institution and the transferred credits are not indicated in detail on the transcript of records, a separate transcript of records regarding the transferred credits should be submitted. If you have completed your degree in an institution that only submits official transcripts of records electronically (e-transcripts), please see electronic transcripts.
The University of Turku requires original transcript of study records (in the original language) AND an English, Finnish or Swedish translation (or an English-language Diploma Supplement concerning graduates from European universities) of the transcript of records.
A temporary (provisional) degree certificate is a document issued by an institution to a student who has been awarded or conferred an academic degree. The temporary degree certificate is issued as a replacement for the actual degree certificate e.g. in case the actual degree certificate cannot be given to the student immediately after the studies have been completed due to technical or administrative reasons. The temporary degree certificate must include:
- the name of the institution awarding the degree
- the date of award/conferral of the degree
- the name of the person to whom the temporary degree certificate has been issued
- which academic title/degree the person has been awarded.
It is important to note that a document stating only that the student has completed all the courses is not sufficient as a temporary degree certificate.
Programmes may also ask for other documents than those mentioned above. Please check the programme's website and follow the instructions given in the application form.
During the application period we require only scans of the original educational documents. However, if you are admitted you have to submit the paper documents according to the country specific requirements upon starting your studies.