Frequently asked questions

On this page, you can find answers for the most common questions about practicalities after receiving an admission offer from the University of Turku.

Please also read through the Information for Admitted Students page carefully. If you have any questions after reading these information pages, please don't hesitate to be in touch with the Admission Services team at admissions(a)

Admitted students

How do I confirm my study place?

Bachelor's and Master's degree students get the admission offers in March. After receiveing an admission offer, you need to

  1. Accept the study place at Studyinfo by the deadline given in your letter (if you receive a scholarship, the deadline is in April; if you do not receive a scholarship, the deadline is in July). Note that you may accept only one offer of admission to a study programme leading to a higher education degree in Finland in education that begins in the same academic term, and it is not possible to alter the confirmation once done at Studyinfo.
  2. If you applied with an incomplete degree, you need to send a proof of your graduation to the Admission Services by 10 August at 15:00. If you applied with your final degree documents, you can proceed to pying tuition fees.
  3. Pay the possible tuition fee by 31 July according to the instructions in your admission letter. If you do not need to pay tuition fees, you can proceed to registration. 
  4. After accepting the study place (and possible scholarship), you need to register with the University by paying the Student Union membership fee. Registration is possible from around mid-May (for newly admitted students, for students who have deferred their study place registration opens 1 June) and must be done by 31 August at the latest. You will receive an e-mail about this with instructions.

Remember also:

  • Pay the compulsory Student Health Care fee directly to Kela once per term (autumn term 30 September and spring term 31 January) either with Finnish online banking credentials or as a bank transfer.
  • Submit your original educational documents for verification according to the instructions by the deadline in September. Also remember to check the country-specific requirements, should they concern you.
Can I change my opinion about accepting the study place later?

Accepting the study place is done online at Studyinfo, and once done, it cannot be altered later. You can accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland per semester. If you have applied for several programmes/universities and get admitted to more than one, you have to choose which study place you accept. Read more about admission.

If you have accepted your study place and you change your mind, it is possible to forfeit your study right with a notification to the Study Registry located in Student Centre Disco.

Is there any chance to receive a scholarship after receiving the admission letter?

All applicants who have applied for the scholarship will receive information of the decisions in their admission offer. If the admitted student has been put on the waiting list for a scholarship, that information is also stated in the scholarship offer. No new scholarship decisions will be made after the admission offer have been sent in March.

It is possible to apply for a scholarship for outstanding performance for the second (or in Bachelor level studies, third) study year. The basic requirement for receiving this scholarship is 55cr with an average score of 3.0 or higher for the first year of studies. All students who have applied for the scholarship and fulfill this requirement will be awarded a scholarship for the next academic year.

Read more about the scholarships at UTU.

Is it possible to change my programme track after receiving the admission letter?

Regarding your specialisation track, please be in touch with your programme coordinator. The email address can be found in the admission offer letter (email). Please note, that if you are subject to tuition fee and you received a scholarship, the scholarship is tied to the original choice of track. If you switch your track, you forfeit your scholarship.

When do I have to present the original educational documents?

You can bring the original documents in person to the Student Centre Disco (on the University Hill) after you have arrived in Turku. The deadline for providing the original documents (for Bachelor's and Master's degree students) is 15 September 2022. Read more information about providing the original documents.

If you have been admitted conditionally (you applied with an incomplete degree in January), you have two deadlines:

  1. The proof of your graduation must reach University of Turku by 10 August 2022, at 15:00 (local time in Finland). The proof of graduation can be sent to us via email as scanned documents. If you were accepted conditionally, it’s written in your admission offer, which you receive in March.
  2. Then by 15 September, you have to provide original documents.

If you have any problems with your documents, please be in touch with us:

What to do if I am having problems with getting my visa or residence permit in time?

We recommend starting the residence permit process immediately after receiving the admission letter. Please contact Migri, the Finnish Immigration Office, to get instructions.

We have gathered some information on the University's website, but unfortunately, the University has no power regarding the visas or residence permits and can’t influence the process.

Do EU students need to get a residence permit?

EU/EEA citizens do not need a residence permit to Finland.

For information about registration of the right of residence of a citizen of the European Union, see the Migri website.

What health insurance do I need?

Regarding questions about the health insurance and residence permit, please contact Migri. Find more info about the insurance requirements on the Migri website.

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you do not need to take out other insurance. By presenting the European Health Insurance Card, you can prove your right to necessary medical treatment in another EU or EEA country and in Switzerland. Your card must be valid for the duration of your stay in Finland.

Is the Student Healthcare Fee compulsory?

The health care fee is compulsory for most of the students and must be paid directly to Kela once per term (spring term 31 January and autumn term 30 September).

Students who have social security coverage from another EU/EEA country or from Switzerland or the United Kingdom do not have to pay the healthcare fee. Read more about how you should proceed if you have social security coverage in another EU/EAA country, Switzerland or the United Kingdom.

In 2022, the student healthcare fee in higher education will be EUR 35.80 per term.

How do I ensure accommodation for myself for the autumn?

The housing situation in Turku is relatively good and student apartments are easy walking, cycling or a bus ride distance from the campus.

The University of Turku cannot, unfortunately, guarantee or arrange housing for students. Please apply for housing well in advance, observing the deadlines set by individual housing providers.

Read more about housing in Turku, housing in Rauma, and living expenses in Finland.

When do I have to arrive in Turku at the latest?

The orientation is usually held at the end of August on campus. We recommend you to arrive in Turku/Rauma well in advance to get settled in before the orientation and the studies start.

During the first weeks, your student tutor will help you with all the practicalities. Please note, that most of the housing providers lease the apartments for whole months, so it is likely that you have your accommodation available from the beginning of the month.

What will be the mode of teaching in the autumn: online or on campus?

The University of Turku does not offer distance learning (online) studies at the moment. Studying in the international degree programmes at the University of Turku requires being present in Turku/Rauma for the contact teaching conducted on campus.

If you wish to know whether your degree programme offers any studies that you can do online or remotely, please contact your degree programme coordinator directly and ask them. The contact details can be found in you admission offer letter or on your programme’s webpage: go and click your programme’s name.

How are the academic terms and degree system at the University of Turku?

Please find more information on the academic year, grading and credits, and the degree system on our website. If you would like to know more about the contact hours vs. independent work, or anything else regarding the studies in your programme, we recommend you to be in touch with your programme and your student tutor(s).

What is Turku like as a student city? Are there any hobbies for students?

There are a lot of student activities and possible hobbies for students in Turku. You can read more on our website, and please visit also the Study in Turku website - a website of the city of Turku with more information on what this city has to offer for students!

You can also ask about the student life from your tutors or chat with our student ambassadors!

How are the living costs like in Turku?

We have collected some information on financial matters in Turku and average living expenses in Finland. In general, you should have minimum 600 €/month/person in your use. This amount covers only the most necessary costs and does not include leisure activities.

Can I have a part-time job along with my studies?

Many Finnish and international students work alongside their studies, mostly in the hospitality and cleaning industries. There are several job portals in Finland where you can search for jobs yourself.

However, you should not completely rely on finding a job and being able to finance your living that way. The University can’t offer part-time jobs for students, and unlike in many countries, job opportunities on campus are uncommon. Finding a job requires activity and initiative and many employers require their staff to know Finnish.

The UTU Career Services (Rekry) can help you to start your career in Finland after you have started your studies. On the career after studies website you can find information and resources to develop your career prospects already during studies.

Can I learn Finnish at the University? How about other languages?

In Finland, people speak very good English and you will have no problem doing your studies and living your everyday life purely in English. However, getting to know the local language can help you to know the people and the culture better. Some Finnish studies are included in every international degree programme as mandatory courses, and you can sign up for extra courses, too.

It is also possible to include other language courses in your degree. Regarding this, please be in touch with your student tutor and your programme and check the webpage of the Centre for Language and Communication Studies.