Eight doctoral researchers compete in the Three minute thesis finals as they present their research as interestingly as possible in just three minutes. The competition is held at OP hall of Turku School of Economics on March 8 at 12:15, and the event is open for the public.
Three minute thesis is an academic competition developed by the Queensland University in Australia. In the competition, doctoral researchers compete by presenting their research topic and its significance within three minutes. The presentations are held in English. The event will be hosted by the year 2020 3MT winner Shruti Jain, who is a doctoral researcher in the Doctoral Programme in Technology.
Doctoral researchers competing in the final are:
- Jinglu Chen - Doctoral Programme in Clinical Research (DPCR): “Brain mechanisms for human altruism”
- Ville V. Kokko - Doctoral Programme of Social and Behavioural Sciences: "Does anybody actually know what free will means?“
- Diana Lehotina - Turku Doctoral Programme of Molecular Medicine (TuDMM): "An immune party in your spleen“
- Mehmet Kılıç - The Doctoral Programme in Technology (DPT): “Photosynthetic signaling in stressed plants”
- Anastasiia Kushnarova-Vakal - Doctoral Programme in Technology (DPT): “On the way to better antibodies for diagnostics”
- Jismi Maria John - Turku Doctoral Programme of Molecular Medicine (TuDMM): ”Brain circuits in psychiatric disorders”
- Arno Ylitalo - Turku Doctoral Programme of Molecular Medicine TuDMM: “Curing leukemia: a 'Clever’ approach”
- Albert Bellmunt Gil - Doctoral Programme in Clinical Research (DPCR): ”Losing control – Stuck in the game”
The winner and the representative of the University of Turku for the Coimbra Group's international 3MT competition organized by European universities will be selected by the final jury, which includes Vice Rector Piia Björn, Director of The Centre for Language and Communication Studies Michael Nelson and Professor of Biodiversity Unit Ilari Sääksjärvi. The audience also gets to choose their favorite. The two best placed and the finals people’s chose winner will receive travel grants.
The winner will represent the University of Turku in Coimbra Group's 3MT competition. The Coimbra Group is a network of highly regarded European multidisciplinary universities committed to creating special academic and cultural ties between universities. The goal is to act for the benefit of the members and promote internationalization, academic cooperation, a high level of education and research, and serve society. From Finland, the group includes the University of Turku and Åbo Akademi. There are 39 member universities in the network.
Updated on 24 Feb 2023 at 10.10: the information about the host of the event added.
Updated on 3 Mar 2023 at 14.15: the event starts at 12.15.