Finnish Doctoral Programme in Oral Sciences (FINDOS-Turku) - Admission Criteria and Instructions for Applicants
The right to pursue a doctoral degree within the FINDOS programme can be applied for twice each academic year: one call is open during the autumn term and one in the spring term. In the autumn call it is also possible to apply for a fixed-term funded doctoral candidate position.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR THE RIGHT TO STUDY FOR A DOCTORAL DEGREE AND FOR FIXED-TERM DOCTORAL CANDIDATE POSITIONS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TURKU, FACULTY OF MEDICINE, FINDOS-Turku DOCTORAL PROGRAMME
Application period: 30 August – 17 September 2021
What can be applied for:
- the right to study for a doctoral degree at the University of Turku from 1 January 2022 onwards
- fixed-term Doctoral Candidate positions
- both of the above
Please read carefully the Faculty of Medicine instructions - How to Apply for Doctoral Training at the Faculty of Medicine
How to apply
- Check the application period and requirements.
- Read the instructions of the Faculty of Medicine and the Doctoral Programme carefully!
- If you are going to verify your language skills with a language test, make sure that you book your test time well in advance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make his/her own language test arrangements.
- Get the required signatures in time and prepare the appendix documents as pdf's.
- Fill in the electric application form.
- Remember to apply in time. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
- Keep the original degree certificates and other relevant educational documents at hand during the application process.
Specific admission requirements in FINDOS
- Suitable Academic Degree (Licentiate of Dentistry or equivalent, MSc level) e.g. in biology, biochemistry or biomaterials. Dental and medical students at the university of Turku may receive the right to study for a doctoral degree already before obtaining the Licentiate degree.
- Research plan approved by the supervisor.
- Research area in the field of oral sciences.
An application should
- Contain a scientifically significant and feasible thesis project which thematically fits in the scope of the scientific fields represented by FINDOS.
- Demonstrate that the applicant is motivated and has potential to develop into an independent researcher.
- Demonstrate that the applicant will significantly benefit from the four-year PhD training program.
- Include structured research and study plans approved by the supervisor.
- Please read carefully the current requirements on the Faculty of Medicine's instructions webpage
- Represents the scientific fields of FINDOS.
- Can provide the Doctoral Candidate with adequate supervision and scientific training.
- Actively participates in the development of the FINDOS curriculum.
The Follow-up committee for doctoral training
- More information and current requirements are available at the Faculty of Medicine Study guide for doctoral studies - chapter 4.4
The application deadline is 17 September 2021 at 23:59 (UTC+3).
The link to the electronic application form will open on 30 August 2021.
To apply for the position, please click the "Fill in the form" link on the web-pages of the University Graduate School.
The FINDOS application form ID 11521.
The application for the right to study for a doctoral degree and for fixed-term doctoral candidate positions consists of an electronic form in English and attached PDF files including all required material according to the instructions.
For the application the applicant must prepare:
a summary of the research plan (max 1000 characters) and
the following documents in pdf-format:
By attaching the research plan to the application form the applicant gives permission for checking the research plan with Turnitin Originality Check (system for electrical plagiarism detection).
2. Curriculum Vitae of the applicant, including a list of publications when applicable. (CV template)
3. Motivation letter (max 1 page)
The motivation letter is one page long freeform document, which includes the reasons for applying for the doctoral studies in the Finnish Doctoral Program in Oral Sciences (FINDOS-Turku). If the applicant has a right to study for a doctoral degree at another university or in another doctoral programme at the University of Turku, the applicant must provide reasons for changing over to FINDOS-Turku. A student may hold only one doctoral degree study right at the University of Turku at a time.
4. Theoretical study plan of the postgraduate studies with already completed studies itemized (template)
NB! At least one of the supervisors should have access to UTU IT-systems (utu user account). Additional information is available at the Faculty of Medicine webpage, under the “Supervision” section.
6. Degree certificates and transcripts of study record
Additional information is available at the Faculty of Medicine webpage, under the section “Degree giving the eligibility”.
A. If the applicant has completed the former degree(s), which make him/her eligible for doctoral studies at the University of Turku or has a right to pursue specialization training at the University of Turku, the degree certificate is not needed as an application enclosure.
B. If the applicant has completed the former degree(s), which make them eligible for doctoral studies at a university in Finland, the degree certificates, the transcripts of study records and other educational documents, which may be of relevance in the student selection must be attached to the electronic application form.
C. If the applicant has completed the former degree(s), which make him/her eligible for doctoral studies at a university abroad (i.e. outside Finland), they must attach the following items to the electronic application form:
- scanned original degree certificates (in the same language as the degree was completed in)
- scanned original transcripts of study records (in the same language as the degree was completed in)
- scanned other original educational documents which may be of relevance in the student selection
- If the original degree certificates and other educational documents are not written in English, Finnish or Swedish, official translations to one of these languages must also be submitted. An official translation here refers to a translation of the educational documents issued by the awarding institution, a translation made by an authorized translator, or a certified copy of a translation issued by the awarding institution or an authorized translator. A transcript in English can be replaced by a Diploma Supplement awarded by a European educational institution if it contains the information about completed courses and other study attainments.
Those applicants who have been granted a right to study and who have completed their prior degree abroad have to submit either the original degree certificates or certified copies of the degree certificates and other educational documents and the official translations of the documents to the University of Turku as instructed in the admission notification by 4 March 2022 at the latest. If the admitted applicant does not deliver the required certificates by the deadline set in the admission notification, he/she forfeits the study right. Instructions on delivering certificates and country-specific requirements.
7. Verification of language proficiency (if needed)
The University of Turku follows the Rector’s decision (15 Aug 2019) on the means of verifying one’s language proficiency. Please see the language requirements on the webpage of the university’s graduate school.
If the applicant is required to prove their language proficiency with a language test, a scanned certificate of a completed language test must be attached to the application
8. A justified application for the approval of a supervisor, when proposing only one supervisor.
Additional information is available at the Faculty of Medicine webpage, under the “Supervision” section.
The applicant must deliver all required documents by the end of the application period. Late submissions will not be processed.
The Dean/ Vice Dean of the Faculty of Medicine decides on granting the right to study for a doctoral degree based on the proposals of the steering committees of the Doctoral Programmes. All applicants will be personally informed about the decisions by 31 May 2021 at the latest.
An admitted applicant has to notify the University of Turku of his/her acceptance of the study place by 3:00 pm (UTC +3) on 15 June 2021 according to the instructions given in the admission notification. If the admitted applicant does not give the notification by the end of the allotted period of time mentioned above, he/she forfeits the study place. A person admitted to more than one university or polytechnic degree programme only notifies the one educational institution at which he/she accepts the study place. Notification, i.e. accepting a study place, is binding and may not be cancelled or changed later.
According to Finnish university legislation, a student may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland during one academic term (autumn term 1 Aug – 31 Dec or spring term 1 Jan – 31 Jul). This rule applies to all higher education, i.e. Bachelor and Master level degrees awarded by Finnish universities of applied sciences, Bachelor and Master degrees awarded by Finnish universities, and Licentiate and Doctoral degrees awarded by Finnish universities. This regulation is not applied to study rights received in transfer student selections, from the Åland University of Applied Sciences, from the Police University College, and from institutions of higher education outside Finland.
The applicants who have completed their prior degree in a country other than Finland and who are granted a study right in this call, need to deliver either the original degree certificates or certified copies of the original degree certificates and their translations to the University of Turku as instructed in the admission notification by 15 September 2021 at the latest. If the admitted applicant does not deliver the required certificates by the deadline set in the admission notification, he/she forfeits the study right. Instructions on delivering certificates and country-specific requirements.
Funded Doctoral Candidate positions
The application period was open 1-18 September 2020