Finnish Doctoral Programme in Oral Sciences (FINDOS-Turku) - Admission Criteria and Instructions for Applicants
The next call for applications is 1-18 September 2020.
The right to pursue a doctoral degree within the FINDOS programme can be applied twice a year, during autumn and spring terms. In the autumn call it is also possible to apply for a fixed-term funded doctoral candidate position.
- Check the application period.
- Read the instructions of the Faculty and the Doctoral Programme carefully!
- If you are going to verify your language skills with a language test, make sure that you book your test time well in advance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make his/her own language test arrangements.
- Get the required signatures in time and prepare the appendix documents.
- Fill in the electric application form.
- Remember to apply in time. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
Please keep your original degree certificates and other relevant educational documents at hand during the application process.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR THE RIGHT TO STUDY FOR A DOCTORAL DEGREE AND FOR FIXED-TERM DOCTORAL CANDIDATE POSITIONS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TURKU, FACULTY OF MEDICINE, FINDOS-Turku DOCTORAL PROGRAMME
Application period: September 1–18, 2020
What can be applied for:
- the right to study for a doctoral degree at the University of Turku
Please read carefully the Faculty of Medicine instructions - How to Apply for Doctoral Training at the Faculty of Medicine
How to apply
Specific admission requirements in FINDOS
- Suitable Academic Degree (Licentiate of Dentistry or equivalent, MSc level) e.g. in biology, biochemistry or biomaterials. Dental and medical students at the university of Turku may receive the right to study for a doctoral degree already before obtaining the Licentiate degree.
- Research plan approved by the supervisor.
- Research area in the field of oral sciences.
An application should
- Contain a scientifically significant and feasible thesis project which thematically fits in the scope of the scientific fields represented by FINDOS.
- Demonstrate that the applicant is motivated and has potential to develop into an independent researcher.
- Demonstrate that the applicant will significantly benefit from the four-year PhD training program.
- Include structured research and study plans approved by the supervisor.
- must be a well-established researcher affiliated with the University of Turku.(It is recommended that at least one of the supervisors is employed by the University of Turku or has a title of docent granted by the University of Turku, since access to UTU IT-systems will be required.)
- represents the scientific fields of FINDOS.
- can provide the Doctoral Candidate with adequate supervision and scientific training.
- actively participates in the development of the FINDOS curriculum.
The application deadline is 18 September, 2020 at 23:59.
The link to the electronic application form will open on September 1, 2020.
To apply for the position, please click the "Fill in the form" link on the web-pages of the University Graduate School.
The FINDOS application form ID is XXXX.
The application for the right to study for a doctoral degree and for fixed-term doctoral candidate positions consists of an electronic form in English and attached PDF files including all required material according to the instructions.
Guide for filling in the electronic form (will be linked later)
Ohje sähköisen hakulomakkeen täyttämiseen (lisätään myöhemmin)
For the application the applicant must prepare:
a summary of the research plan (max 1000 characters) and
the following documents in pdf-format in English:
Motivation letter (1 page, maximum)
CV of the applicant, including the list of publications (if any) (CV template)
Structured research plan, including a funding plan, approved by the supervisor (5 pages, maximum, see guidelines and additional points)
By attaching the research plan to the application form the applicant gives permission for checking the research plan with Turnitin Originality Check (system for electrical plagiarism detection).
Study plan of the postgraduate studies with already completed studies itemized (template)
Supervision plan (the supervision plan shall be drawn up together with the supervisor/-s and it must be enclosed including all signatures as well as the signature of the head of subject)
Degree certificates and transcripts of study record
A. If the applicant has completed the former degree(s), which make them eligible for doctoral studies at the University of Turku, degree certificate is not needed as an application enclosure.
B. If the applicant has completed the former degree(s), which make them eligible for doctoral studies at a university in Finland the degree certificates, the transcripts of study records and other educational documents, which may be of relevance in the student selection, must be attached to the electronic application form.
C. If the applicant has completed the former degree(s), which make them eligible for doctoral studies at a university abroad (i.e. outside Finland) they must attach the following items to the electronic application form:
- scanned original degree certificates (in the same language as the degree was completed in)
- scanned original transcripts of study records (in the same language as the degree was completed in)
- scanned other original educational documents which may be of relevance in the student selection
- If the original degree certificates and other educational documents are not written in English, Finnish or Swedish, official translations to one of these languages must also be submitted. An official translation here refers to a translation of the educational documents issued by the awarding institution or a translation made by an authorized translator. A transcript in English can be replaced by a Diploma Supplement awarded by a European educational institution if it contains the information about completed courses and other study attainments.
Those applicants who have been granted a right to study and who have completed their prior degree abroad have to submit either the original degree certificates or certified copies of the degree certificates and other educational documents and the official translations of the documents to the University of Turku as instructed in the admission notification. If the admitted applicant does not deliver the required certificates by the deadline set in the admission notification, he/she forfeits the study right. Instructions on delivering certificates and country-specific requirements are available here: https://www.utu.fi/en/study-at-utu/accepted-students/original-documents.
7. Verification of language proficiency (if needed).
The University of Turku follows the Rector’s decision (15 Aug 2019) on the means of verifying one’s language proficiency. See the language requirements on the webpage of the university’s graduate school: https://www.utu.fi/en/research/utugs/how-to-apply/language
- If the applicant is required to prove their language proficiency with a language test, a scanned certificate of a completed language test must be attached to the application
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some language test centres have been temporarily closed. For this reason, in the application period of autumn 2020, the delivery deadline for the language test result has been extended. The test result should be available for online verification by 16 November 2020 at the latest. The applicant also needs to deliver a scanned copy of the result by that day to the address email@example.com. If the test result is not available by 16 November 2020, the application is rejected. The acceptable language tests and their minimum requirements are listed on the website (see the link above).
Both the application form and the attachments are required for the application to be valid. Applications sent after the deadline will not be considered.
The decision on granting the funded doctoral candidate position is made by the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine based on the proposal of the steering committee of the doctoral programme. All applicants will be personally informed about the decisions. The names of the applicants who have been selected for a Doctoral Candidate position will be announced on the website of the doctoral programme by the end of November 2020.The decision on employing the doctoral candidate is made by the head of the institution/department.
The decision for the right to study for a doctoral degree (1 January 2021 onwards) is made by the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine based on the proposal of the steering committee of the doctoral programme by the 30 November 2020 at the latest. All applicants will be personally informed about the decisions.
An admitted applicant has to notify the University of Turku of his/her acceptance of the study place by 3:00 pm (GMT +2) on 15 December 2020 according to the instructions given in the admission notification. If the admitted applicant does not give the notification by the end of the allotted period of time mentioned above, he/she forfeits the study place. A person admitted to more than one university or polytechnic degree programme only notifies the one educational institution at which he/she accepts the study place. Notification, i.e. accepting a study place, is binding and may not be cancelled or changed later.
According to Finnish university legislation, a student may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland during one academic term (autumn term 1 Aug – 31 Dec or spring term 1 Jan – 31 Jul). This rule applies to all higher education, i.e. Bachelor and Master level degrees awarded by Finnish universities of applied sciences, Bachelor and Master degrees awarded by Finnish universities, and Licentiate and Doctoral degrees awarded by Finnish universities. This regulation is not applied to study rights received in transfer student selections, from the Åland University of Applied Sciences, from the Police University College, and from institutions of higher education outside Finland.
The applicants who have completed their prior degree in a country other than Finland and who are granted a study right in this call, need to deliver either the original degree certificates or certified copies of the original degree certificates and their translations to the University of Turku as instructed in the admission notification. If the admitted applicant does not deliver the required certificates by the deadline set in the admission notification, he/she forfeits the study right. Instructions on delivering certificates and country-specific requirements are available here: https://www.utu.fi/en/study-at-utu/accepted-students/original-documents.
Funded Doctoral Candidate positions
Application period 2-20 September 2019