Finnish Doctoral Program in Oral Sciences (FINDOS-Turku) - Admission Criteria and Instructions for Applicants
The next call for applications is 2-20 March 2020.
The right to pursue a doctoral degree within the FINDOS programme can be applied twice a year, during autumn and spring terms. In the autumn call it is also possible to apply for a fixed-term funded doctoral candidate position.
- Check the application period.
- Read the instructions of the Faculty and the Doctoral Programme carefully!
- If you are going to verify your language skills with a language test, make sure that you book your test time well in advance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make his/her own language test arrangements.
- Get the required signatures in time and prepare the appendix documents.
- Fill in the electric application form.
- Remember to apply in time. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
Please keep your original degree certificates and other relevant educational documents at hand during the application process.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR THE RIGHT TO STUDY FOR A DOCTORAL DEGREE AND FOR FIXED-TERM DOCTORAL CANDIDATE POSITIONS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TURKU, FACULTY OF MEDICINE, FINDOS-Turku DOCTORAL PROGRAMME
Application period: September 2–20 2019
What can be applied for:
- the right to study for a doctoral degree at the University of Turku
- fixed-term Doctoral Candidate position
- both of the above
Please read carefully the Faculty of Medicine instructions - How to Apply for Doctoral Training at the Faculty of Medicine
How to apply
Specific admission requirements in FINDOS
- Suitable Academic Degree (Licentiate of Dentistry or equivalent, MSc level) e.g. in biology, biochemistry or biomaterials. Dental and medical students at the university of Turku may receive the right to study for a doctoral degree already before obtaining the Licentiate degree.
- Research plan approved by the supervisor.
- Research area in the field of oral sciences.
An application should
- Contain a scientifically significant and feasible thesis project which thematically fits in the scope of the scientific fields represented by FINDOS.
- Demonstrate that the applicant is motivated and has potential to develop into an independent researcher.
- Demonstrate that the applicant will significantly benefit from the four-year PhD training program.
- Include structured research and study plans approved by the supervisor.
- must be a well-established researcher affiliated with the University of Turku.(It is recommended that at least one of the supervisors is employed by the University of Turku or has a title of docent granted by the University of Turku, since access to UTU IT-systems will be required.)
- represents the scientific fields of FINDOS.
- can provide the Doctoral Candidate with adequate supervision and scientific training.
- actively participates in the development of the FINDOS curriculum.
The application deadline is 20 September, 2019 at 23:59.
The link to the electronic application form will open on September 2, 2019.
To apply for the position, please click the "Fill in the form" link on the web-pages of the University Graduate School.
The FINDOS application form ID is 7818.
The application for the right to study for a doctoral degree and for fixed-term doctoral candidate positions consists of an electronic form in English and attached PDF files including all required material according to the instructions.
For the application the applicant must prepare:
a summary of the research plan (max 1000 characters) and
the following documents in pdf-format in English:
Motivation letter (1 page, maximum)
CV of the applicant, including the list of publications (if any) (CV template)
Structured research plan, including a funding plan, approved by the supervisor (5 pages, maximum, see guidelines and additional points)
By attaching the research plan to the application form the applicant gives permission for checking the research plan with Turnitin Originality Check (system for electrical plagiarism detection).
Study plan of the postgraduate studies with already completed studies itemized (template)
Supervision plan (the supervision plan shall be drawn up together with the supervisor/-s and it must be enclosed including all signatures as well as the signature of the head of subject)
A university degree certificate and other educational documents required. Required educational documents - see the instructions on the Faculty website: >>Degree giving the eligibility.
If the applicant has attained the higher university degree at the University of Turku, the diploma/certificate is not needed as an application enclosure.
NB! Those applicants who have been granted the right to study and who have completed their studies at a university abroad have to submit original or officially certified copies of the degree certificates, other educational documents and the official translations of the documents to the University of Turku by 31 January 2020. (See detailed instructions on the University of Turku www-page)
A copy of the language test result if needed (see Instructions). NB! All language test results must be sent also directly by the test organizer to University of Turku by the application deadline.
No certificate of language proficiency is needed if the applicant has completed his or her Master’s degree in Finland or has Finnish as his or her schooling language.
When proposing three supervisors, an application and a justification for approval of a third supervisor.
Both the application form and the attachments are required for the application to be valid. Applications sent after the deadline will not be considered.
The FINDOS-Turku steering committee will process the applications. Before making selection, research proposals may be checked by using Turnitin Originality Check (system for electrical plagiarism detection).
The priority list for selection will be based on the the qualities and merits of the applicant and his/her application: in particular the quality and feasibility of the research plan are emphasized.
The decisions on granting the right to study and on the fixed-term positions will be made by the 30 November 2019 at the latest. All applicants will be personally informed about the decisions. An admitted applicant has to notify in writing the University of Turku of his/her acceptance of the study place by December 13th 2019 at 15.00 (time in Finland).
Funded Doctoral Candidate positions
Application period 2-20 September 2019