The Doctoral Module of InFLAMES Flagship (Innovation Ecosystem based on the Immune System) offers immunological and immunology-related education to Doctoral Reseachers of the Flagship. This page contains information about the contents, completion and application process of the Doctoral Module
InFLAMES Doctoral Module
The InFLAMES Doctoral Module is aimed for the Doctoral Researchers in the fields of immunology, immunology-based drug development and/or diagnostics supervised by InFLAMES-affiliated supervisor. Doctoral Researchers of the Åbo Akademi University can also join the Doctoral Module.
The InFLAMES Doctoral Module provides advanced education in immunology and immunology-related subjects with the goal of preparing Doctoral Researchers for variable career paths in both academic and business sectors. The scope of completed Doctoral Module is 15 ECTS credits. Participants can also apply for InFLAMES-dedicated UTUGS funded Doctoral Researcher positions in addition to normal Doctoral Programme funded positions. Completion of the module is awarded with a diploma.
Doctoral Module is a part of the Academy of Finland's Flagship Programme flagship InFLAMES, organized by the University of Turku, Åbo Akademi University, Turku University Hospital, the City of Turku and the collaborating companies. The goal of the InFLAMES Flagship is to be an internationally recognized hub of immunological research and product development.
Applying for the Doctoral Module
Doctoral Researchers of Doctoral Programmes FINDOS, DRDP, TuDMM, DPCR and DPT or Åbo Akademi University from the fields of immunology, immunology-based drug development and/or diagnostics with a supervising PI from InFLAMES Flagship can apply for Doctoral Module. A list of the InFLAMES PIs can be found at the InFLAMES website.
In order to apply for Doctoral Module, please contact InFLAMES Research Coordinator Sampo Koivunen (sampo.koivunen[at]utu.fi)
InFLAMES-allocated Funded Doctoral Researcher Positions
Doctoral Researchers of InFLAMES Doctoral Module can apply for UTUGS funded positions allocated specifically for InFLAMES. These position are available only to Doctoral Module participants and can be applied in addition to funded positions of Doctoral Programmes. The application period is in autumn together with the other UTUGS funded positions.
InFLAMES-targeted funded Doctoral Researcher positions are granted based on the evaluations from the Doctoral Programmes after the allocation of Doctoral Programme specific positions.
Structure of the Doctoral Module
The scope of Doctoral Module is 15 ECTS credits. The module consists of multiple submodules with variable compositions. The students of the module are free to compile their preferred 15 ECTS credit selection of studies from the submodules.
The submodules include for example lecture courses, seminars, method studies, communication training, career guidance and education by the Flagship Professors of Practice. More details of the education offered by the InFLAMES Doctoral Module will be available on this page and the individual course pages.
Planned Submodules of the Doctoral Module
- General lecture series (1 ECTS)
- IFDM2004-3001 InFLAMES Flow Cytometry Theory, Online Course (more info coming later)
- IFDM2002-3001 InFLAMES Flow Cytometry Practical Training (1 ECTS) (On week 18, study guide)
- Immunohistology Course, organized in Spring 2023 (2 ECTS, more info coming later)
- Imaging Immunology (1-2 ECTS)
- IFDM1003-3001 InFLAMES Professional Development (1 ECTS) (info) (study guide)
- IFDM1002-3001 Business, Innovation & Market Access - Pharma Market and Value of Medicines (1-2 ECTS) (info), (study guide)
- IFDM1001-3001 Presentation and Communication Skills – Essential Tools and Tips (1 ECTS) (info) (study guide)
- Publishing Education (1 ECTS)
- Monthly InFLAMES Flagship Seminars
- Inside Industry InFLAMES Seminars
- Immunology Seminar Series
- Prospects of Infections and Immunity
- Frontiers of Science seminars
- Seminar Series of Infections and Immunity
- Annual start-of-the-year seminar
- Annual InFLAMES Doctoral Module summer event
- Journal clubs hosted by InFLAMES visiting professors and others